INTEREST CHECK: Adobe Illustrator Class

Hmm yeah I think I could probably divide it up into either a basics and advanced, or by type of actions you can do in the project.

1 Like

Ok, so now I’m thinking that dividing up the class into 2 or 3 1-hour sessions would be best. The first would be the essential tools, and the second would be about more advanced techniques. The third would specifically about exports to the different tool programs, file formats and best practices for exporting in general, though this one could cover several programs and not just illustrator, since different programs like different things.

Also, I’m thinking I should skip the parts about changing colors and adjusting the look of your vectors, since I’m assuming that most people taking the class would be concerned mainly creating files to be engraved, laser cut, etc. If there is interest in the illustration part of Illustrator, perhaps that could be a fourth course.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I like the idea of having several “short” sessions to cover this. I’m also interested in the illustration part of Illustrator ( Spoonflower designs in mind.)

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of that before, but that is a pretty cool website!

With the first two classes as a foundation, another one about illustrating would be a natural next step. I’ll write an outline for that as well!

2 Likes

You only have to submit it once. It still shows the button to submit but once on file you don’t have to anymore. I have added several classes without submitting it again and honorarium is always paid.

1 Like

Yeh, I know that’s how it’s supposed to work, but since I have it electronically I submit it each time in an effort to make it easier for the Finance folks. It only takes me a couple clicks to add it.

I may be missing something here, but I have to change colors on my vectors to be able to laser cut. Or is that not what you’re talking about?

We’ll cover how to change the stroke color for lasering purposes, but besides that not much is needed for laser files, or other ones. There are a bunch of other color things that can be done if you’re working on an illustration that would be better off in a separate class. My bad for being a bit vague on the color changing comment.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in a AI class for sure. :grinning:

I am DEFINITELY interested! Thanks.

Hi all, work got a bit crazy this week with a move to a new building, but I will be picking a day for the first class by the end of this weekend. Anyone who wants to weigh in on time/date is welcome to do so!

1 Like

How about Friday 3/17 or Friday 3/24 at 5.30 pm?

Unfortunately I work from 9 to 6 on weekdays. I’m mostly looking at nights or weekends. But thank you for the suggestion!

I work the same hours so I’m pretty much good with whatever

No problem. So maybe later like Wednesdays at 7.30pm? Would this work?

The class is submited! The first basic tools class will appear on the calendar in the next few days for April 12th at 7:30. I’ll post again when it’s available for sign-up!

3 Likes

Great! Is the attendance severely limited?

Nope, It’s set at 14 people at the moment since it needs to be a demonstration-style class. It’s my first class so I kind of picked a number at random.

2 Likes

Class is live on the calendar! See you guys there.

3 Likes

Awesome, registered.

Here is the link for anyone waning a short cut :slight_smile:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2171