I'm having a little trouble

Also what material works best do you think

Depends what type of brain you have. I don’t know you well enough to answer that. It is geared towards an engineer more than artist though.

I’ll be here tomorrow from 2-9ish bring a laptop and I can step you through it while I work

1 Like

I can swing up there Thursday if you have time

I donated a shit ton of aluminum bronze C954 to Jewelry that would be nice to cast it in

I have no idea how to do that lol but willing to learn

1 Like

April (@coffeebean) made one out of lasered acrylic and demonstrates its use in ceramic work here:

@nicksilva makes tons! of leather embossers, usually out of delrin, I do believe, e.g. this one where he discloses a less-than-perfect experience

and here’s one that worked well

As Kevin says, using something like Fusion 360 and doing as much “parametric” as possible will make it so you can test several methods and media and make adjustments if needed, being that, for example, a stamp for ceramics might differ a fair bit from “the same” stamp for “branding” leather, the latter necessarily needing to be capable of being heated to much higher temperatures…

3 Likes

Thanks for the help

I made a leather stamp out of delrin and it worked really well. in the example above I should have run the laser a second time to get a deeper etch. All you need is your vector file and a piece of delrin. In fact I have a piece of this in my bin you can have. I think it’s 1.25 inches wide if that’ll work for you. My bin looks like this.

I can’t help onsite but I can give you my notes on how I made mine if it helps.

RD Works Settings for Center Cutting
• Set the starting point on the center of the image.
• ConfigS > System Setting > Select Laser Head Location
Power & Speed Setting for Etching Delrin
• 500 Speed
• 20 Power
Centering on Thunder Laser
• Place Delrin on laser
• Use a flashlight on the side of the delrin to find the center. The center will show as a dot, and set the laser to this location
• Set to 5mm distance
Cleanup
• Delrin will leave a powder residue that can be easily scrubbed clean.

5 Likes

Thank you what did you use to design it

I use Adobe Illustrator myself, but any vector program will work fine. Is your file vector and is it complete?

im not sure I don’t think its a vector yet I made it in inkscape

but its a simple design that I think I could redo in a different program

Email me the file and I’ll vectorize it for you to get you started. My time actually at DMS is pretty sparse, so I can’t commit to one on one time soon, but this I can do to get you started.

webdevel [at] gmail

1 Like

ill send it to you when I get off of work thanks for the help

We only vectorized the outside cut. The image itself is just rastered. I also sandwiched it and wet leather between 2 boards and it made a imprint.

2 Likes

I thought they all had to be vector lines but when you load your design you decide what needs to be rastered and what needs to be cut

1 Like

Nope. I can show you our files if needed.

Here’s some notes from when I made my makers mark for leatherworking out of delrin rod I bought on eBay.

3 Likes

thank you for the help I didn’t even think about flipping the letters

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a pretty important step!