Ihave had a stroke

Ithinkmost people who know me know thiis.This is me…

It was a doozy ahemorragic stroke 70% mortality rate. somehow I survived,Iwas driving back from a job interview when it happened.Myleft side is completely paralyzed.Fortunately the right side still worked or there would have been a hell of a wreck.It has been almost a year ago minus 3 weeks. I intend to rejoin MS when I am able.Ihope the starving artist rates will stilllbe in effect. Basically Iam unemployable. I write this laying on my back looking over a keyboad on a laptop that is slowly dying.I do not recommend typing while laying on you back it sucks. I am struggling but it lloks like I will make it.

4 Likes

Hello, Wendy. We heard about your stroke a few months back - glad to hear from you again.

5 Likes

How far do you live from DMS? What city? I doubt you can drive, but I may be able to pick up now and then and bring you to the Space if you’d like. Just getting out can be therapuetic!

PM me if you can. I live in Arlington.

12 Likes

While I appriciate the offoer I could not use I am profoundly paralyzed I have tried getting into cars It yakes a ver strong person to lift me because I am pure dead weight. Awoman whom I had adopted as my sister has stepped up to be my caretaker…I’m not missing any meals. Iqualify for Dart paratransit,Which will come to my house with a wheelchair capibl van withseveral days notice.Anoth person has stepped forward to help me in and out of bed for rehab excersizesI have been blesed by freinds

5 Likes

As you progress this is a standing offer.

My mom had stroke, I know one of the things she hated was a sense of being “stuck at home” and “isolated”. You’re a “regular” and we’d like to see you back. I know you did a lot of 3D stuff and with limited use of just one arm you can still enjoy doing that …as compared working on a car!

I’ll add you to my list of folks I pray for.

Shalom

David

12 Likes

I am so happy to hear you are alright and on the path to strength and recovery.

4 Likes

I plan on being a pest here. I am a moderator of All about circuit. an electronics forum. So I am no stranger to forums in general, I love designing electronics in general though I feel dated by ucontollers.Part of the stroke hit I took was mental. I have problems with short tem memory,You want help designing something I am your girl I also like to teach.I miss 3D printing.

5 Likes

I have short term memory loss … age associated! Make yourself a pest!

1 Like

Welcome back to talk! If you need something 3d printed, happy to do so. Filament is no charge but you’ll have to do the design :slight_smile:

1 Like

My son is talking about getting me a chrombook.I really do need alaptop. My needs are minimal I need some thing that can run the few CAD programs I use including M/SPaint I’ve tried Linux Paint but canot turn off theantialiasing feature. It messes up tecnical drawings. He hMy son has this plan to useMy desktopnwith Teamviewer. I dropped this Laptop and messed up the battery mount. It really is on its last legs.

Something weird happened last night when I tried to sleep Iwas so jazzed I stayed awake until 9AM .Normally I sleep like a log, Been very active on the forum(side effect.I could al most feel my brain rewiring itself. I have had feeling return toseveral parts of my body rhat have had nofeeling since the stroke. My bladder for example I can now feel my hand. It has the infant reflex where it grabs if somthing is put in the palm. No real control. but very encouraging.

8 Likes

Wendy, I am MS half blind artist. Last summer my hubby had
several small stokes, no real movement issues, but he has
problems with speech. While I was taking him to speech therapy,
I realized that my sight was going, I lost over half my sight due
to macular degeneration. Now he has to drive me, I keep hoping he
will find something there he wants to take a part in, other wise he would
just go to the store and stay home and read (we were both big readers)
I have realized that I can use the CNC tools to compensate for my sight issues
Now I just need to learn the software to use them

Truth pme of the things I am greatful for is friends and family. If I had been alone this could have been a hellish death sentence. As is I have hope, lots of it.

4 Likes

I have a chromebook I’m not using, if you want to borrow it indefinitely. <3

2 Likes

Would a beagle bone or raspberry pi be sufficient for browsing the internet. What are hardware specifications?

That is far outside myexpertise A rasbery Pi can run Linux.it has a video and an Ethernet connection. For someone who is knowledgeable it should be easy

I notice people do not respond when I post. No big deal as I don’ have much to offer yet and this forum is slower than I am used to… I sincerely hope this will change sometime in the future. No real changes on the home front,I am Still hopefull. I seem to be fighting a lot of intern urinary infections. Is there a bus stop nea DMS or Tanners? I don’t see myself driving even i I become mobile tomorrow. don’t see that happening either. I am using my time to learn KiCAD, I think this would be a good precursor course for The PCB cutting mill in the electronics lab? What is the name of it again?

There’s the 533 bus at Valwood @ Monetary. Can easily get on that bus from the Green Line and the walk to DMS is minor

Wendy,

You will qualify for ParaTransit, which will take you door to door and provide assistance at both ends.

https://www.dart.org/riding/paratransit.asp

4 Likes

I will be signing up for this myself, the do charge but it is a reduced fee
I expect to be using it to relieve my hubby of some of the dribing

1 Like