How to get deep DOF

Continuing the discussion from Wiki Structure is Lacking:

Continuing the discussion from Web applications, Photography, Solidworks, Cura, Photoshop, Arduino:

@John_Marlow is trying to get deep DOF from his 300mm lens. Since he’s using a tiny aperture (f/29), his images are too dark. I suggest getting some more lights - light cures all problems. The best investment I made when I was a poor college student was a $20 halogen work light. Even that had to be right next to my subjects sometimes, but it typically worked just fine, especially in combination with various other light sources.

As @Rolando_Sustaita1 pointed out, it’s also really helpful to shoot outside (or at least opening the blinds). You’d be surprised how much light the sun provides (sorry, not trying to sound cheeky).

When you use sunlight you generally want to avoid direct sunlight since it will produce very hard shadows. Using a shaded area on the north side of a building, an overcast day, or even a window with indirect light can provide a lot of light that produce soft pleasing shadows.

John,

If you want, the slides I produced last year for my product lighting 101 class, may prove a helpful starting point for the material you prepare for your class. They are located on https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/ProductLighting101

3 Likes

Also Depth of Field can be particularly difficult when shooting Macro Photos because your are giving up depth of field for focal distance between the subject and the lens. At least that is the foggy memory I have from college photography and macro shooting issues. The photographer talks a bit about it in his issues photography the bugs in this thread: Incredible microscopic composite images of BUGS!

Slow the shutter speed down to compensate. You can also raise the ISO
(though, it would add noise/grain if you go too high.) I’m guessing you’re
already on a tripod but you may also need a cable release to get over 30
seconds of exposure on most cameras.

More light is def. a part of the solution but be sure you’re using a
reflector or multiple lights to keep it even or you may end up with images
that are too contrasty or with “blooming” on one side.

-Steve

1 Like

Great slides Walter - thanks (and thanks for adding to the Class curriculum category)! Definitely worth checking out.

No problem, hope it helps.