Hot Process Safety Now Required Pre-Requisite

@Team_Moderators please pin this

At the committee meeting today, we voted to require the Hot Process Safety as a pre-requisite for all metal classes involving hot work (all welders, dynatorch, hand plasma, etc).

This can be done individually before taking a machine side class, or it can be done as a combined class at the discretion of the instructor if they want to teach both.

This will allow for a large number of students to get the bulk of the safety out of the way in larger groups, and for the machine side classes to be shorter allowing for more of them which in turn would mean a higher rate of sign-offs.

This safety class additionally allows for the “show me you can weld” sign off with an instructor, so if you have experience welding with a specific process you can get a spot sign off if you have taken our mandatory safety.

We have a few people that can teach it already, but are welcoming more instructors. I’m about to throw up a few classes at different times in the evenings, so keep an eye out for them.

CC’ing various instructors: @malcolmputer @brsims @Cyberzombie78 @jast @cdbjames

I don’t have the talk handles for any others,. so anyone feel free to tag some others. Existing scheduled classes are not an issue, but going forward they need to require the training.

If an instructor is doing a back-to-back hot process and machine side classes, or otherwise they need to be scheduled in advance for students that have a pending training, here is what to do.

The hot process class is a standalone class, and the machine side set it to Require Approval. You can then check that a student is signed-up for a hot process class, or in the welding safety AD group (which is the new hot process group).

Cheers,
-Jim

EDIT: I submitted two classes for next Saturday, including time after each for a “Show me you can weld.” Assuming something doesn’t come up, they should be visible on the calendar on Tuesday

5 Likes

In the show me you can weld what do we need to do? My experience has been mig welding but for art applications so I doubt I’d pass a test for penetration or even clean beads since it’s been so long. My projects are also really just going to require tack welding at this point anyway

Basically can you setup & run the machine safely, and generally draw a bead. It’s not a structural test, since we only care about safe operation.

Sweet. I’ll look for them and take a peep at what the setup is over there while I’m at the space tomorrow. I may need some general overview on the blowers and whatnot if the safety class doesn’t cover it since our bays at the art shop were all outside

How’s it going so I’m trying to figure out how all of this works and I’m having a hard time understanding, so I’m a certified mig tig and stick welder but it’s been 4 or 5 years since I got out of school and welded, I’ve got to do one stainless test and one aluminum test but I didn’t pass and I just need a couple hours of practice but I’m really debating if I should get a membership because I don’t understand about the 24/7 access to the building does this mean I can come in with out signing up for a class or do I have to take a class in order to just be able to practice

@Team_Metal_Shop

It’s 24/7 for members. You would need to be a member to use the tools outside of a class.

I would expect that a class would have stuff already set up to work on so you wouldn’t be able to do personal stuff.
Maybe pass a charisma roll.

Since you are welding trained you may be able to test out of the required training if you talk with the metal shop chair person. @hon1nbo

1 Like

I appreciate your quick response,

At minimum, you’ll need to take the “Hot Process Safety” class which is about an hour and a half long. This covers DMS related safety, LOTO, and some welding safety. If you talk with the chair or one of the welding instructors, they may allow you to “test out” of the welding class or they may not depending on the day. Worst case, you’d need to take the welding class on each process (MIG, TIG, Stick) to be able to use each process.

After that, day or night, come by and you’ll have full access to the welders. The MIG is $1 per 3 minutes of arc time, the stick and TIG are “free” within reason, and you have to bring your own consumables (we provide gas and electricity only).

1 Like

so if there is not a class going on and I sign up for a membership and I bring in some scrap metal to weld on is it possible for me to practice on for a couple of hours. I would just like to get this job and help out up there from time to time.

Nope. No welding or any other “hot work” without the safety class. Even after that, you’ll still need to be signed off by one of the instructors (either by class or one on one) on whatever welding process you want to use.

If it’s really any emergency to get something welded up, become a member, hang out in the welding area and grab someone who is signed off to weld it for you, give them some cash for their time.

1 Like

thanks for responding back so even though I am certified already in tig mig and stick I will still have to take the classes for each one, I have paper work and certificates if I need to bring them up and present them

Yep, it’s a hard rule. You must be signed off on the equipment to use it. The safety class is non-negotiable.

The actual process classes are, but it depends on if you find an instructor willing to stick their neck out to give you a shorter class or a one on one.

Paper is nice and all, but DMS has rules about how we weld, and your cert doesn’t cover those. Things like forbidden materials in the space, where the exhaust is and how to use it, housekeeping requirements etc.

2 Likes

So you need our safety class because we have our own processes and equipment, including those specific to our building and “house rules” which due to the shared hobbyist nature of the equipment is a concern, unlike professionally maintained equipment.

You can test out of the machine side classes with any of the welding instructors after you’ve taken the mandatory safety class.

The test out is basically a “show me you can weld” on any of the equipment we have by demonstrating setup, basic beads, then equipment and area cleanup

-Jim
Metal Shop Chair

1 Like

I need to attend the Hot Process Safety class. When will the next one take place, I missed last Saturday because I was learning 3d printing. Too many classes to choose from! It’s a good thing though.

It’d be a couple of weeks before I can put one into my schedule. The safety class clears you to take the other classes. Which other class were you interested in?

Oh just all of them. You guys have all the cool tools that I do not have at home in my garage. So many projects I can now do myself now I have access to all these tools. Also my wife would like to take the class too.

Sunday afternoon work for you? (10/20). I usually set 12 for the safety, and then 8 for MIG. You’ll have to watch closely for @matthshooter and @malcolmputer for TIG. Stick is a bit trickier. @ioport51 has taught that (once), but he’s probably looking for more demand before he teaches another one. I know that @tomthm teaches the Dynatorch plasma-cam.

I don’t think you need anything (like gloves) for the Dynatorch, but if your wife is considering welding, she should get some gloves of her own. They bought me a pair of Small gloves, but they live in the teachers’ cabinet. I share them for class, but then they’re locked up.

Sunday 10/20 would work just fine as long as you are going out of your way or not messing up any prior plans for yourself. I don’t wish to ask for anything special, just more asking when the next class might be. But regardless thank you so much.

Paul and Beth

1 Like