Help with my disc lock

I lost the keys to my disk lock. Is my best option to hire a locksmith to pick it?

Locksmith can, or you can pick it yourself assuming it’s your property. If the lock is owned by a storage renter then they may have a contractual requirement that you get a replacement key from them.

Most of them are pretty easy to pick open, you could probably learn yourself if you were so inclined.

Maybe time to make some picks and take up a new hobby? :grin:

1 Like

Sweet. I just ordered that Abus 20/70 for my storage unit. Looks like the hasp would be easier to compromise than that lock.

Well with any thief the average one is gonna try cutting first regardless.

For those with lock picking background these do exist but not as trivial as the typical pin tumbler

This is my disc detainer pick

(as a note, this tool was made by LPL and bosnian bill well after that video when they started playing with tools for disc detainers. That video is really old)

3 Likes

I suspect the average thief/thug isn’t going to have the wherewithal to pick such a lock. If they were that smart they wouldn’t be stealing, right?

Nah – there’s at least 3 things going on there. Smartness doesn’t necessarily mean that you had the advantages that let you use your smartness making money. I know I’ve felt that some of that was a club that I didn’t get the key to. Plus, smartness doesn’t necessarily mean that the person sees stealing as wrong. Stealing can be easier than finding a good job.

Locks are there to keep honest people honest. Your job is to not be low-hanging fruit, as all security measures can be bypassed with enough time and effort (and/or money).

And, to be fair, even LPL took a few minutes against an ABUS that he had already picked a few times (older video, might be faster with their new pick). I just got a 37/60 for my storage unit, but it’s probably easier to cut through the door of the indoor unit I have than to cut or pick the lock (if someone really wants my camping cots… I guess)

2 Likes

Picking the average lock isn’t terribly difficult, but I gather it’s rare for criminals to bother with it. I suspect this is due to the time investment increasing the odds of being seen in the act of burgling.

All that locks really do is increase the level of effort, time, noise it takes to break in. The two biggest enemies of the modern padlock are the angle grinder and the hydraulic bolt cutter for anyone that feels they have the luxury of time (and in the former case noise).

I selected some pretty basic laminated-steel padlocks for my gates and shed that have all of three modest advantages over typical big box home improvement store padlocks: all pins are security pins, the lock mechanism is otherwise not particularly vulnerable to shimming and bypasses, and the body itself is toughened with recessed rivets plus the laminates interlock. If someone wants to get around the gates it’s just a 6’ privacy fence. For the shed they’re just supplementary to the door’s lockset and the door will surely yield after enough kicks.

Or the ramset. :blankspace:

Is that the Sparrows disc detainer pick? I’ve been waiting for them to come back in stock for a while after that first run sold out in minutes.

they’ve been back a bit. get the alerts