Public Storage Cylinder Lock

A locksmith might sell them.
Michael’s Keys in Rowlett is one standalone shop I’ve done business with

And A-1 is a big locksmith/gun safe business at the SW corner of Parker/Alma.

Or call other storage places to see what their pricing is. I think I paid about 20 bucks for one to replace the broken one DMS had on one of our spaces last year. Dunno what happened to that after Pearce got them emptied. But since I never saw a reimbursement (not that I care), I should think that if somebody knows where it is, it wouldn’t be subject to the “Must be publicly advertised for sale” rules, and DMS could let you have it in exchange for a small donation in my honor…

2 Likes

Disk locks? That’s too bad. While they are more bolt cutter resistant, most of them are lousy for pick resistance.

As in requires cylindrical key locks (often bespoke to their style of hasp) or a specific flavor of padlock?

Either, depending on the actual place. They’ve moved the scam once again from requiring the circular padlock type to a cylinder style lock, citing, once again “it’s safer and more secure” all the while touting how safe and secure their physical/grounds security is.

Agreed. It’s mostly just a scam to get people to buy the 150% markup items available there at the desk once they are surprised by the actual requirement with all of their stuff in tow and no immediate options.

@Jcgalik this is the kind you had to procure right?

My conclusion on most padlocks is that their purpose is merely to discourage attempts at defeating them. To wit, they need to be resistant to simple bypasses, shimming the locking mechanism, bumping, raking, and easy brute-forcing attempts. True pin-by-pin picking doesn’t seem like something that is often attempted in the wild outside of locksmiths engaged in above-board work for the legitimate owners of the property being secured. To wit, I chose Commando Lock for some additional physical security around my house at about $18 a lock.

Assuming that Public Storage is selling this lock, you’re not doing terrible if you buy their lock although you may be able to source the same padlock from other suppliers.

TL;DR - avoid Master Lock and you’ll likely do alright.

Some are/require it. Not the one near me, apparently…see original post edit for clarification as to what they call a cylinder lock.

The PS near DMS requires cylinder locks AND insurance. Your homeowner’s insurance is likely sufficient, but you’ll have to provide The requisite documentation to avoid the charge.

With the initiation fee, the lock, and the insurance, the “first month free” deal still ended up costing me a bit less than $60.

2 Likes

Yeah…they got it all worked out. Plus monthly, or every-other-month, rate increases that start occurring quickly. But they are three minutes away from me so that’s worth something. And Internet special is $14/month (at start) for a 5’ x 5’ x 8’ H unit, so in the balance it seems OK for a while, which is all I need it for.

But I was forewarned by the Internet (thanks Yelp & Google!) and therefore forearmed: I’ll have with me my own lock, hopefully, (save $15), a copy of my insurance policy (save $?). So that’s all I need.

Except for this paddle ballgame. I need that.

2 Likes

Check with your insurance agent before assuming they’ll cover. My homeowners did not cover my rental spot.

1 Like

Of course you do.

If you are looking for a parking spot for an RV or trailer, they also need a copy of the title. Supposedly so that if you don’t pay your storage fee, they can put a lien on the RV.

1 Like

So it’s a specific lock core that inserts into their bespoke hasp. Sh_tty and self-serving but also depressingly standard - when DMS had offsite storage on Luna that was the arrangement.

1 Like

yes i made a simple mechanism to fit a hardened steel puck lock
it slides in then locks against the door with the puck flush to it.
the manager was quite dismayed i recently changed to a different storage facility due to that and other security issues.

PS charges me $8/mo for insurance.

A post was split to a new topic: Help with my disc lock

That’s a nicely protected hasp. You might check with the facility to see see if they have a recommended company, to simplify any security concerns. Then it is sort of up to the company to pick what skill sets they have that will be the lowest cost option.

I was assured by my insurance company (USAA) that the storage facility doesn’t give a rat’s ass about your stuff - they are much more interested in the fact that you have liability insurance (through homeowner’s policy or purchased through them) in case your unauthorized gas cans or propane tanks destroy their property. They told me that one guy had limits so high that a storage facility insisted on being named an “additional insured” on the policy (so they could burn their place down and get new buildings). USAA told them to pound sand.

In the end I was told that I’m covered for my personal property anywhere in the world for up to 10% of my home’s value. I’m covered at 100% of my home’s value (in property) if the property is located at my home.

3 Likes

Anybody ever end up figuring out what kind of cylindrical lock they use? Their page on locks (Public Storage Locks are Top Notch | Public Storage Blog) gives plenty of details on the disk lock, but nearly none on the cylinder lock other than “you should buy it from us.” And there seems to be a ton of variety in different kinds of cylinder locks, including stuff like length that would seem to be critical in buying an appropriate one - though I honestly wouldn’t know either way; maybe there’s a wider span of tolerance to that than I realize? No idea.

Well…at least at the place I am using, as I walk through, I see several kinds of locks. I ended up using a disk (puck) lock I sourced myself, but I have the feeling they may not care too much and that it is their corporate overlords that push whatever lock narrative.

I suspect each individual franchise enforces whatever policies they feel like, and that, depending on which you use, you can probably get away with whatever lock(s) you may already have or decide to purchase. They just need to see it and put a sticker on it so they know it’s from an actual customer as they walk around.