Help with Lasersaur

I made my first cut with Lasersaur yesterday - a lovely 5" x 9" rectangle. I felt pretty darn clever after the success. It took me forever to make it happen, though.

The one thing I never figured out was how to adjust the Z height in order to use the measuring tool to set the laser. I just got lucky that it gave me what I needed for the cut.

Would someone be willing to work with me to understand a better lasersaur workflow? Once I’ve got it down, I’d be willing to write, print, and laminate that process for a cheat sheet. It might get more love that way as the Thunder seems to be everyone’s first choice.

If you mean the focus, there is a thumbscrew which fixes the position of the lens. Loosen it, let the lens rest on top of the focussing tool on top of your stock then tighten the thumbscrew finger tight only.

1 Like

Hey Cindy, just making sure… have you taken the laser basics class?

Thank you for the offer to post instructions, but there should be a blue book in the laser area that has information about each laser and I think it covers focusing each laser. The book should live in a file holder on the wall left of the Zing computer. If it’s gone missing I can replace it.

1 Like

Yes, I have been trained. I know where to aim the CO2. Three machines in 40 minutes means lasersaur wasn’t covered in detail. The web-based setup alone means it’s got a different learning curve than the other two lasers. I sat down after a guy who said he never got it to work for him.

Now that I know there’s a thumb screw on the laser head to manage the focus, I think I can do it again with that additional step.

Of course, @merissa, if you’d let me watch you set up and make a cut or two on Lasersaur, then I could verify my workflow against yours, and determine any steps I’ve missed.

(Anyone else tried to sit down and work Lasersaur with that blue book propped up against the screen? Good thing the ibuprofen is in a cabinet nearby.)

So I’m trying to decipher the tremendous amount of snark in your post, so forgive me for asking for clarification just as you always ask of others… Are you saying that you used the book and it was not helpful enough? The lasersaur manual focus is also in the laser basics online material found on the wiki (and hopefully covered by the trainer). Since you have not clearly stated if you couldn’t find the answer in the resources already provided or if it simply wasn’t covered in the class, we can’t properly learn from this and help eliminate the shortfall.

As an FYI to all, we’re slowly working on getting the laser basics class on the online LMS system. We also hope to offer individual courses on function of each laser with pictures and video. This isn’t an immediate solution to how to find help, but hopefully down the road will be a good resource.

Sorry Cindy, I will not have time here in the next little while to sit down with you and walk you through. Maybe others will chime in with availability.

1 Like

Here’s a link to the wiki that I found by going DMS then WIKI then TOOLS then LASERSAUR and clicking on it:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Lasersaur_Laser_Cutter

Did I end up in the wrong place? I just don’t see anything about focusing the lasersaur there.

I searched the wiki for “laser basics” and couldn’t find anything. I’m afraid without a link I’m having a hard time finding the online material you mentioned.

Yes, I tried using the blue book and it was not helpful enough. I did rely on it for material type, though, and must’ve managed to put those settings in well enough to make the cut. No, I do not recall the focus of lasersaur being covered in training, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen…just that I didn’t remember it. I do remember him saying “this one is different and uses a web browser.”

I don’t need a walk through. I’ll just ask to stand behind the next person I see using it and watch. That’s all I was hoping for.

BTW, I’m sorry your read snark into my comment. Once again I was asking for help. Once again I tried to be pleasant through my frustration. Once again I didn’t live up to your expectations, @merissa. I’ll try harder next time.

+++edit+++

Found it! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SufIBiCeqGhcpOA9MKTTIdf4LPZ_xQiR8p3Mq1Kb-5k/edit

I was looking for something specific to lasersaur, and focus is mentioned in the “laser class” notes. I’ll print them and try again.

@merissa - This is a valid observation. Unless someone is rastering, the Lasersaur would be a suitable substitute for Thunder but many people aren’t comfortable using it. It’s a great laser, but IMO it’s a little harder to work through the GUI.

Would a 30 minute Lasersaur-only class help that situation? Maybe I’m weird, but I’d be willing to take such a class so that I could use the Lasersaur sometimes instead of the Thunder.

1 Like

What firmware is running on the lasersaur? I’d love it if that machine could raster as well. I know LaserWeb supports it for some firmware. Has anyone ever tried to get this running? I’ve only read things about it, never used it, so it may be crap software, I don’t know.

@lukeiamyourfather ?

Consolidated laser info https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Committee

Sorry, won’t have time for a more detail response to all topics till after work tonight.

I should be more clear, I love the lasersaur. I use it for most of my vector cutting needs. I don’t believe the lasersaur is “crap”. My reference was to the LaserWeb software, which is not currently installed, now that might be crap…

2 Likes

If I make a cheat sheet will you review it before I share?

Old. Really old. There’s new software that does rastering and has a different interface. I can install it anytime but it will change the training and people will have to get used to it. @merissa, let me know if this is something you want to do. There’s also a new motherboard design that offloads the processing to a desktop computer which helps with large and complex cuts (including rasters).

3 Likes

I’m not on the laser committee, I’m just a guy who likes to cut things with lasers.

1 Like

There was a lull in development for the Lasersaur software which is when LaserWeb gained popularity. Development has since picked up again and is comparable if not better than LaserWeb. If we move to something new I’d like to move to the newer Lasersaur software.

1 Like

Seeing the current lasersaur utilization, a change in software/training might not be that painful. I know I would appreciate the ability to raster on the lasersaur.

I thought it was discussed back on the 23rd and approved already? About $1000 to upgrade the motherboard, etc… At least tentatively. Per @merissa: “Sounds like lots of support for improving the saur, so pearce and luke can I get with yall soon on details of that?”

I’m looking forward to the pending upgrades, as I think having the ability to raster will make the machine much more appealing to more members.

[quote="rshill, post:14, topic:18985, full:true"] I'm not on the laser committee [/quote]

That can be corrected. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote="clk75201, post:12, topic:18985, full:true"] If I make a cheat sheet will you review it before I share? [/quote]

Cheat Sheets are awesome resources to have available! If you create one, upload it to the wiki and it will become a work in progress (everything is always a work in progress, as improvements are made all the time!).

2 Likes

I tried again yesterday and indeed found the red thumbscrew to lower the laser focus.

But…my image didn’t work. So today I’m figuring out how to prepare an image for vector cuts. (Will try rastering later.)

@creaturecarousel says she’s prepping a class for Adobe Illustrator. I’m going to give Inkscape a try. I like being able to use something from home. Found this to begin:

https://petervojtek.github.io/diy/2015/03/22/how-to-prepare-images-for-laser-burning.html

FYI: as discussed in this thread, you can’t raster on the lasersaur in its current configuration.

1 Like

Yep! That’s to my advantage right now as it directs me towards only one tunnel down the rabbit hole.

Love steep learning curves. This should do the trick for the day.