Help with Lasersaur

Did I get the impression somewhere that you are a strong Photoshop user? Are you familiar with using Paths in Photoshop? If so, those are vectors and I can write a few sentence description for you of how to get those usable for laser. You can easily get those vectors into Illustrator from Photoshop - then once it’s in Illustrator you can:
(a) print to (vectorized) pdf for the Zing
(b) use as-is for Thunder
© file import into Inkscape to get svg for the LaserSaur

That’s the thing. I was working in Adobe Illustrator and saved as svg, but the text didn’t show up. Maybe I need to trace the text before I save?

I remember the ease of the other two lasers from training. To some extent, the Easel software that runs the Shapeoko 2 has the same convenience.

Thanks for keeping up with me on this one! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Exactly what needs to happen. Live text doesn’t transfer.

3 Likes

Five things.

1. Make sure your Illustrator document color mode is RGB, unless you have only one “layer” of cuts.
  2. Set your stroke units to inches. (File / Preferences / Units / Stroke … I think).
  3. Set your stroke width to 0.001 inches. Anything wider and it will think it is a raster and not a vector.
  4. Use only primary colors as your stroke, #000000, #ff0000, etc.
  5. Stroke all your vectors.

Edit: I don’t recall saving as SVG working for me. Probably just user error on my part. But if you have done the steps above you can import the AI file directly into Inkscape. Make sure you Import (in Inkscape) so as to not lose your dimensions.

1 Like

I win. Lasersaur is mine! Bwahahaha!

Traced the letters. Finally figured out you had to select them first.

Pleased as can be.

1 Like

Yeah fonts won’t transfer over either, you have to convert all text into paths first