Hellcat Crate Engine

Fill the tire with black cats and then do a burnout?

Once “frequented” their 1/8 mile, strictly observing.
I’m imagining they got $50 in beer for doing this, and then walked home.
Thank God for stupid friends. If it weren’t for them, one of us’d have to do it!

Lmao. He bought that vehicle just for that purpose.

Edit: he didn’t have to walk far since it was in front of his house

1 Like

recip saw/plasma cutter, duct tape because it is a miata and you’re done - call it the mini death mobile

1 Like

brings up the question of how much duct tape do you need to secure an engine…

1 Like

that would depend on a a few things…
hold the engine “in place” or keep it in place for start run cycles

1 Like

And here I thought they were set to discontinue the hemi, full stop.

Hmm, the WJ could use some upgrades…

Step 1: fabricate full tube chassis
Step 2: install drive train
Step 3: cut Celica “shell” from monocoque
Step 4: reinforce Celica “shell” and install mounting points
Step 5: bolt Celica “shell” to tube chassis
Step 6: burn rubber

1 Like

Only a limit to the stock components. Coil overs could easily be added.

My WAG is 1000lbs of duct tape for 707hp

1 Like

Maybe a four-banger is more appropriate for an MX-5:

Yeah, but that one is set up for wrong way drive… er… FWD.

1 Like

Gotta say, you might as well keep the zoom zoom.
The 2.0 is no slouch from the factory. Mit turbo, 200whp comes easy. For a bit more $$ and work, you can hit 250 pretty easily. So you’re down 50ish ponies on the Honda crate motor, but should be a lot less work, cheaper, and “more factory”, if you care about bloodline purity…

If you want brand purity and 300hp, there’s a certain pistonless engine that’s been proven to fit in Miatas time and again…

2 Likes

NO WITCHCRAFT!
( :wink: )

1 Like

Dirt Every Day recently proved how to fix that problem:

One problem with using a FWD engine in a RWD application is backwards coolant flow and wrong locations for inlets and outlets. Mazda had some interesting pieces that bolted on to the 1.6 and 1.8L engines that were used for both applications for getting the coolant flow right.

Cool find, though. Didn’t know you could buy one of those. Well, “you” can’t, but someone can. I didn’t even know Honda sold “crate engines”.

1 Like

[BRAP INTENSIFIES]

For the record, every Miata engine to date has been a RWD-converted FWD platform engine. It’s definitely doable, if you have an engineering team and large amounts of funding. Or a welder.

2 Likes

Quit running cheap gas. Ping kills seals.

Be it known: Apex seals aren’t the problem. Knock is. Especially now that there’s modern metallurgy behind aftermarket seals. A good tune, good parts, and proper maintenance should keep the apex seals where they go.

(Seriously I blame cheap owners getting greedy with their tune for the apex seal myth.)

Besides, a little maintenance isn’t a lot to give in exchange for supreme witchcraft.