Haas training schedule

When is the next Haas workshop?

There doesn’t seem to be one scheduled… the last one was just this last weekend, so I wouldn’t expect one for a few weeks at least.

bummer; I hope the next one is scheduled during the weekdays

My reply via email seems to have gotten lost. The next class hasn’t been scheduled, but will be late August at the earliest. It will most likely be a 5 week course on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

4 Likes

5 weeks??? sigh. Are there any alternatives? Is there a way to condense the material and remove all the story telling and non essential information? Do you survey recent attendees to ask them their thoughts on the material covered, time utilization, structure of information, etc? Perhaps there is some fat to be cut…

Just to put it into perspective, my wife just started a new job in Grapevine last week (monday) and they already have her on the Haas VF3… Sooo, is it rocket science? Sure, it is a big expensive piece of machinery that can take your arm off…

Maybe I can have her train me on it…

As someone who has attended the class it is about as ‘condensed’ as it can be. You are talking about 8-12 hours of actual class time. There was no ‘wasted’ time. What spreads it out over 5 weeks is that it is being offered on weeknights to accomodate those who can’t schedule for the weekend class which occurs over a Saturday and Sunday.

Your wife is undoubted been trained to run a program created and tested by others. This class teaches you how to CAM a part and test and run the resulting g-code. Not something most operators of the HAAS machines learn in their first stages (if ever).

3 Likes

You’re certainly right about that. My reservation is that by spreading the training over five weeks, are you talking about one night a week? Is there any additional material to absorb in between classes so we would retain the info for the next class?

No alternatives. It’s already an extremely condensed course. All of it is essential knowledge, though admittedly some of the basics may be known to many already.

Feel free to use your wife’s VF3.

5 Likes

Woah, woah, woah… what kind of euphemism is that!?

2 Likes

Maybe i can hang out with the polyprinter guys when they are manufacturing
their hotends so i can learn in the mean time

You’re really pushing to circumvent training protocols and are missing the part where people are kindly telling you that you have to follow them.

The training protocols on every tool in the space exist primarily to protect you and, second, the tool. I’m a new member and share your level of excitement - I would be sad if tools were getting broken and thereby preventing everybody from using them.

If you want to learn about the HAAS, I would suggest starting at the Machine Shop Committee wiki page.

2 Likes

My first job in a machine shop they put me on a Mazak 5 axis mill as big as a two car garage.

All I had to do was load the blanks and press the button.

10 years later I still wouldn’t be able to run that machine if I walked up to it cold with a parts program.

Please appreciate that Bryan isn’t teaching you to be a button pusher.

2 Likes

@thetazzbot Have you ever ran conventional machine shop equipment? if you have that will take you far in your understanding of running a CNC. Also being a “parts changer”(machine operator) and programming and running a CNC are 2 different things. You can do a lot of damage if you don’t know what you are doing.

2 Likes

Yeah I understand that, and I would never operate a machine without first acquiring the training. I have been around the shop (metal and wood) a bit, so I have a high degree of familiarity with these things and their dangers. For what it’s worth, i have been through the CNC router training and understand the CAM particulars, although I have not actually had a project to put that skill to use until recently… If the CNC router is able to do thin (up to 1/4" aluminum) I might just accomplish what I need on that machine instead.

Fixturing something that thin on the Haas may prove difficult, depending on its other dimensions.

The dangers to the person are primary, but there is also a large risk to the tool. People like to forget that you can do a lot of stuff that will not necessarily injure a person and wreck a tool. The CAM processes on the MultiCam and the Haas have their similarities, yes… but that is certainly not a credential nor prerequisite to operate the Haas.

Hi Tazzbot,

Didn’t mean no harm. If you have had cnc router training than you’ll have no problem understanding the concepts of the milling machine. I would like to sign up for the haas class too. Have a good day!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

You might be able to make your parts on a conventional machine. Maybe they have Bridgeport training before the Haas training and you could get in on that.

No worries, no harm felt. Gotta have thick skin around DMS or I might get poked by them prickly pears. I’ve had some bridgeport exposure and I will be using it to face some parts. The haas just looks so inviting :slight_smile:

The September HAAS class has been scheduled on 9/26 9-3 & 9/27 9-12. It’s not on the calendar yet, but the Eventbrite link is here. Note: This event is for Dallas Makerspace members only.

Signed up. Any pre-requisites that would help? I’m trying to work on doing cad/cam training before hand.