Haas training schedule

Not for the class. In general you do need to be able to produce a CAD model of what you’re trying to make, and that is not taught in this class.

1 Like

I used to use openScad quite a bit, not sure how well that equates over to like AutoCad.

OpenSCAD skills don’t really translate well to Inventor (the software typically used for HAAS stuff). I too used to use OpenSCAD, but it doesn’t produce any file types that our CAM software understands. I have also tried FreeCAD (Open source 3D parametric modeling software), and currently it also doesn’t produce files that can reliably be used with our CAM software.

All that said, Inventor isn’t TOO bad (only took me four months to be able to make my first 3D design…), and it does have some books and tutorials available to get someone started.

As soon as I get back from my upcoming trip, I plan to schedule a class to share what I have learned from Frank on using Inventor to produce parametric tabbed box designs for cutting out on the laser cutter. The basic skills should translate well to learning Inventor for more complex things.

Also hopefully some of our CAD gurus (hint @frank_lima ) may offer classes on 3D CAD in the future.

Have you looked on Lynda.com for courses?

No I haven’t but I believe someone mentioned during the board meeting that such courses are available.

I am old fashioned, I like books.

Years ago a generous firm sent me to one of those multi-day course on MicroStation. I learned quite a bit (even though the instructor’s Hawaiian shirts were borderline blinding some days), and it cost a few grand if I recall correctly.

The Lynda course on Inventor (I’m about 4 hours in to it) is similar, worth it as long as someone else is paying for it. If you’re familiar with 3D modeling (especially on an Autodesk platform) it can be a bit slow, but you pick up a good chunk of the intricacies of Inventor. You can crank the playback speed up, too.

In my experience you were lucky. I have only rarely found classes that cost me more then a few hundred dollars to have been worth their cost.

It seems that the more expensive the class, the more likely that the people putting the class on are looking to make a quick buck. I have gotten more out of free classes at DMS then I have for classes I have spent $10K on.

Not saying this applies to Lynda, which I believe is in a different camp since they are in the business of producing training classes, and not providing training to supplement their primary business. But as I said, I have no personal experience with Lynda.

That was unintentionally misleading. It was a large group of interns from the firm that went to a local Bentley facility and that was the total for the whole class not per person. It probably ended up being a few hundred dollars per person.

Lynda is “free” :wink:

I took a Microstation class that cost $7,500 for just me, for just the tuition. Of course that was long enough ago, that ‘microstation’ ran only on a unix workstation, and the company was Intergraph not Bentley (which came later).

But I did enjoy spending a week in Huntsville, AL. Some great aerospace museums and even better junk yards.

1 Like

I have used delcam (sp) briefly. I have used others briefly as well, But never really put much work into it because I had no end product. I’m hoping to get more into it all. The other issue is like the more professional items that cost a lot of money are hard for me to justify the expense. I’m hoping that by having say the HAAS at my disposal to be able to get used to it easier.

Do I need to print my ticket or use that evenbright app? Or can I show the email?

You don’t need anything, just show up.

Do I need to bring anything? ie laptop?

I would suggest a notepad and writing implement. It is a LOT of information in a very short time.

1 Like

Or a laptop to take notes on. :slight_smile:

There are no requirements, bring anything or nothing. See you tomorrow.

2 Likes

The next HAAS class has been scheduled for 11/7 & 11/8. It’s not on the calendar yet, but you can buy tickets here.

1 Like