Gun Range Day Q1-2015

I wanted to setup a day to go to Elm Fork Gun Range.

I would be down for Shotgun Pistol and Rifle.

If someone has property we could go out there and do some Tannerite and other stuff that we can’t do at a range.

Is anyone interested in joining? Just post here on the best day and I will schedule a date to go out there?

6 Likes

I’d love to try Tannerite. I’m free on tue, wed, and sat.

2 Likes

I’d love it, but I’ll admit I’ll be the first one to be an ass if anyone does anything that is unsafe.

I also have some Tannerite. :smile:

Weekends work best for me, but not ones that will conflict with the training I still need to put on the calendar for March.

2 Likes

Um, I think I know some guys with Tannerite materials. Cough, cough!

1 Like

I’m interested in a gun range day. Elm Fork would be OK but a private land range would be good. I’m flexible as to the day.

Russell Ward

1 Like

I might be game. I’m much more into doing sporting clays or skeet at Elm Fork than the ol’ blowin-up-stuff-in-a-field game, but I’m weird like that. My schedule is flexible, I don’t mind taking a personal day in a few weeks.

1 Like

I could be talked into something like this.

1 Like

Im taking the scouts on march 21st weekend. Let me know when others find a date.

1 Like

I’m up for a range day, I would go to elm or some one’s land. Could I trick anyone to teach me how to shoot sporting clay, I have a great shotgun, but am embarrassingly bad at shooting clay. :blush:

1 Like

Nick,

I’m not a “dirt bird shooter” but I have heard the secret to teaching people to shoot clay piegons is the correct lead. If you TRY to shoot in front of the clay you will usually hit it. Until you can begin to hit the target you can’t figure what you are doing wrong. Of course there is many more things you have to do right.

Russell Ward

1 Like

I just got back from Elm Fork, and was surprised how expensive it has become… $22 for the reactive steel bay! seems a bit much for <60 minutes of shooting. And to say that their staff gets more rude each time I’m there is an understatement… Not sure what’s happening there, but Its going to take some strong convincing for me to go back.

Might be fun to make our own Steel Tree (plasma cutter?) and take it somewhere.

Edit: more rude and less educated*

1 Like

If the timing works, I’m in.

1 Like

When someone else opens a decent sporting clays course, I’ll go. But it’s the only good game in town.

1 Like

I don’t like the pricing at Elm fork. If you wanted to just shoot pistol, shotgun, 50 yd rifle, 100 yd rifle it would cost you $80 or so. You pay for each range separately. Seems like you should pay an entry fee and shoot wherever you want . . . you can only be in one place at a time. For ex. if you want to sight in a rifle on the 50 yd then take it right next door to the 100 yd, then it will cost you $40. Don’t even ask about shooting just a mag or two from your pistol, bc that will cost you another $20.

1 Like

I don’t know if Garland Public Shooting Range is still hanging on or not, but for a single reasonable price you get access to pistol, rifle, and a basic trap shooting range (i.e. a buddy operates the launcher for you). I’ve always found their staff and policies to be much more relaxed than Elm Fork’s rigid stance on using their rifle and pistol ranges (never used their trap/skeet/sporting clays facilities).

1 Like

@ESmith It’s still around, $15 for everything all day. Not worth it for just one gun, but for multigun it’s definitely great. Conveniently right by where I live. Throwers there are silly though, no challenge shooting fixed position that close. And let’s be honest, it’s a shack with piles of dirt out back.

@rice81 For sure, I don’t use those ranges. But at risk of beating a dead horse, their two sporting clays courses are awesome and the most fun shooting challenge I’ve found around here. $40 I think, but that’s a full course of around 100+ clays at 10+ stations. You get to walk around in the woods, challenge yourself, and much more enjoyable than plinking paper from behind a stand.

1 Like

@CaffeinatedPanda, last I checked though, they had stupid rules about the sporting clay course as well… i.e. no ‘tactical’ weapons. My long barrel shotgun that happens to have a hand grip is not allowed there :confused:

1 Like

@CaffeinatedPanda : I’m hardly a clay shooting connoisseur (the shotgun spends 99% of its time with an 18.5" barrel installed) and have done it perhaps 3 or 4 times at Garland Public. It’s fun to do something more reactive than punching holes in paper, but definitely not too challenging.

1 Like

Honestly though, shooting clays with a hand grip? I got no problem with that rule :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You don’t use the grip while shooting clays… just can’t easily remove it. It’s not like I’m using a 20rd drum mag on a Saiga 12… And if I was, why disallow me from doing 2 shots at a time with it on the clay range? It’s a silly rule.

1 Like