Gun Range Day Q1-2015

Elm Fork wont let me shoot my short barrel rifle there:( They didn’t care before it had a Tax stamp (and was a .223 AR), but now that its a .300 blackout with a silencer on it, they don’t want me shooting it there.

I’d be up for other places (there’s actually a range on 400acres with clay courses and 5x 200yard rifle bays out by the Eagle Canyon Raceway… about half a mile down Highway 51 from Eagle).

1 Like

I have a feeling that these would only be welcome on private land ( go figure ) but I’d be happy to
bring out my airsoft rifles (FN P-90, generic bolt action hunting rifle, and M4 BICASV railframe) and
pistols (Beretta M-9, Walther P99, and a rather nice 5" SVI Infinity 1911) for use for training, quiet
plinking, etc.

It seems weird that a range would ban the use of suppressors, they’re primarily used as a safety device.

1 Like

Yes, that’s pretty screwed up, not to allow licensed suppressed weapons. I had heard that, but hoped I heard wrong.

1 Like

I have shot suppressed recently at Elmfork many times (Pistol and Rifle). They even hosted the silencer are legal shoot in 2012.

To get this cleared up I chose Elmfork because of the closeness to Dallas Makerspace and the versatility of the options.

I did not choose Garland because I know people will want to shoot AR’s and Garland does not allow FMJ on their rifle range.

As for Daniels comment my only thought is someone was misinformed or you were not in the tactical range.

1 Like

Every time I was at Elm Fork they said no FMJ as they were worried with penetration over to the golf course.

1 Like

Rifle Bay or at the Tactical bay?

1 Like

So we seem to be in the weeds here, Elm Fork has weird rules and isn’t the cheapest range around. But, it is the closest range to DMS and is know by many members. I’m personally fine with going to Elm Fork, I won’t be in all the bays due to price, but I will be up for shooting Dirt Birds. (Thanks for the new phrase Russel :smile:)

I personally don’t know of a shooting range close to DMS that offers everything. Elm fork is a nice range, but also not perfect.

1 Like

It was the rifle range…

Guys, I’m definitely in for a range day but it would be great if we could shoot on private land where anything goes. Obviously we want to observe standard range safety but I’m not a fan of the strict rules at most of the ranges in DFW.

I’m the VP of a firearm manufacturer and I can bring a full-auto M16 and a .22 suppressor for folks to shoot. As far as I know, Elm Fork doesn’t allow rapid fire much less full-auto on their ranges.

Whatever is decided, I’ll be there.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any private land that we could goto within 60 Min of DFW?

if not I believe Elm Fork is still the best option for the versatility and the closeness to DMS.

1 Like

There is also Fusion in Mesquite and another in Greenville with open bays and typically relaxed settings with move and shoot and fmj being ok.

just an Fyi if you need a RSO ( Range Safety Officer ) I am a NRA certified RSO There is also a nice range out in the Flower Mound area Quail Run or something like that. I will double check the name.

1 Like

Looks like we are going to have some good weather Sunday so I am planning on heading out to Elm Fork Range.

I will be there at 11AM if anyone want’s to join.

I will be at the Tactical Bay and the Steel Target Range.

My plan will be to shoot Rifle and Pistol.

I will be shooting both suppressed and non-suppressed.

Feel free to come out.

if you don’t have a personal firearm I will have some available for guests from DMS.

I would ask that you provide all ammo (Brass Only no Steel)

I will sponsor 100 rounds of .22 LR for usage by those brand new to shooting sports. I wont be able to attend as I have a church function. Lemme know Robert where to drop off the rounds for you.

how was it

Have fun, wish I could come.

Does sound like a good time, but I can’t make it either. Please post next time you go as well, I’d love to bring my PPQ and I’ve got plenty of 9mm ammo.

Let see if anyone new is coming out first.

If someone want’s to shoot .22 I have a awesome little suppressed .22 pistol that is a ton of fun!

I’m interested. If the venue changes I could bring out some suppressors as well.