Guillotine Shear Missing Gage Stop

The Jewelry Lab has a benchtop guillotine shear. To my knowledge, the gage-stop is missing, which is a device needed for making precise and repetitive cuts. I am in need of that accessory and need to know if the Committee can quickly obtain one or if I will need to fabricate something, as I need to use it this weekend, or I can postpone to next weekend. Please see the below link.

Precision 4" “The Chopper” Guillotine Shear - RioGrande

This is the shear that we have. Rio does not appear to carry that shear anymore, so that suggests you’re going to have to fabricate something to fit it.

EDIT: I’ve located and uploaded the manual for that shear. It’s linked from the Tools page. It has a better image of the drop off gage.

EDIT 2: I made a fence of this style for my own use. The two challenges were that it has started to warp in the most important corner and has to be weighted to lie flat on the shear table. It’s also tough to use really thin stock with it. However, I’m going to be there Tuesday night for casting lab and I can bring it if you want to use it then.

In order to get precise dimensions I made templates (usually laser cut, accounting for kerf) and then used those as a spacer for set-up.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Do you know what the tapped hole dia and pitch is? I will probably bring a piece of drill rod and aluminum bar stock and fabricate one.

No I’m sorry I don’t know that, but there IIRC correctly there is a “necklace” with a bunch of thread checkers (both sockets and plugs), probably hanging by the big lathes in Machine Shop.

EDIT: FWIW, for some bizarre reason the tapped holes in the top plate are #12 … and I think they are 12-24 UNC. It’s possible that the drop off gauge hole is the same.

I have the same shear at home, and can bring the stop gage in if someone wants to take some measurements to duplicate it.

5 Likes

I’ve made arrangements with Cary to measure his drop gauge. I’ll give you the measurements; probably Wednesday.

The thread on the rod is 1/4-20.

Here’s all the details.

shear drop gage Drawing v11.pdf (233.3 KB)

Please note that this is a sketch and while the dimensions are accurate, nothing is toleranced.

2 Likes

The drop gauge has been located. It is in the drawer underneath the shear. There is no need to make a new one.

As an aside, it has a different thread than the one Cary loaned us, so that’s a really good thing that we found the real one.

2 Likes

Thank you for finding the gage and for your assistance! Sorry for my delayed response…its been a very hectic week! If you are interested, I am working on some brass ho steam locomotives and need to use the shear along with my Micro Mark slip roll to form boiler courses.

2 Likes

No credit to me. I reverse-engineered Cary’s gage but Joseph @nausser915 found the Jewelry one.

1 Like

Make sure you post pictures when you are done. Those sound great!

1 Like