Great quote by Enzo Ferrari

“Aerodynamics are for people who don’t know how to build engines!”

Shown: 1960 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, 300 hp.

8 Likes

“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.”

-Mario Andretti

“Brake pedal, gas pedal. If you ain’t mashing one of 'em to the floor, you ain’t driving hard enough.”

can’t remember who said that one :joy:

4 Likes

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Deacon's_Masterpiece

3 Likes

“In endurance racing, to finish first you must first finish”. (Google can’t tell me who said this, but I repeat it all the time).

3 Likes

Lol. If your not first, your last.

2 Likes

Shake-n-Bake!

2 Likes

I wish that poem was longer.

1 Like

This is from an aviator but I think it’s equally applicable to motorsports.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

4 Likes

As a programmer/tech manager, I had that quote prominently posted in my office.

2 Likes

“I don’t sell cars; I sell engines. The cars I throw in for free since something has to hold the engines in.” ― Enzo Ferrari

4 Likes

When the local minimum has been realized.

2 Likes

How does it feel to be the first person to ever write a particular sentence? :wink:

3 Likes

Comment from a Hallett SCCA event some long while back -
“How fast ya wanna go?”
“How much money ya got?”

3 Likes

“Next year, Ferrari’s ass is mine.” - Carroll Shelby, 1963

He was off by a couple of years, but Ford & the GT40s did best Enzo and the 362s in 1966. I don’t know if it was better aerodynamics or better engines…

Richard Attwood and David Piper driving a Ferrari 365 P2 Spyder (No. 16) and Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon driving a Ford Mk II (No. 2) during Le Mans on June 19, 1966
Photo: GPLibrary/Universal Images Group via Getty Images

From this site.

4 Likes

“The name on the middle of that steering wheel should tell you that I was born ready Shelby. Hit it!”

6 Likes

Thanks for adding another movie to my watchlist

3 Likes

It’s really good. I had no idea of the history until I watched the movie. Then went down like 20 rabbit holes on Wikipedia.

4 Likes

It is really good movie. Ford crying like a baby is definitely a genuine emotional moment. Fastest I have ever gone is 172 mph in a straight line and even that was probably past the edge of my skill level. But damn!

1 Like

and the experience, even with “normal drivers” and “normal cars” is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT when you are a passenger than a driver. Then add that Shelby was a top notch racer in his day, and the GT-40, though the MK I was unreliable, was a top-notch racer. I can only presume the hyperbole on the statement “it’s about right now the uninitiated have a tendency to soil themselves” is very tiny…

Add: what I love most about that scene is Shelby’s deference, using Ford’s emotion to sell Ken Miles, NOT Shelby. Who knows how that really went down, but it certainly paints Shelby’s side in a good light (which was kind of part & parcel to this film getting made; Shelby could be a real sonofabitch from what I hear, but this film wanted to portray his positive angles, and did so with excellent writing and excellent film making, like that scene demonstrates).

1 Like

Used to be a big fan of Cars & Coffee and would go every month with my son. We stopped when it became mostly nothing but modern muscle cars with no pizazz. Tons of dudes with the hoods up and almost none knew what a blower or turbo was. Just a sausage fest with people showing off what kinda of car payment they could support.

An many times we certainly got to see the lack of driving skill on people leaving the lot. :slight_smile:

3 Likes