Great quote by Enzo Ferrari

I mean - I’m a filthy casual aspiring shade tree mechanic that subscribes to zero automotive publications and I’m reasonably aware of what those accoutrements are and their basic distinctions.

1 Like

Or why you might prefer a turbo set up to add torque, especially over a broad curve, more than HP.

1 Like

Probably some of both. The 427 engine dev pgm included redesigning the engine until it could do 6400 rpm for 48 hrs. Engine was then put on a dyno setup w/ transmission that simulated the track. Keep in mind that digital stuff didn’t exist - no computers, micros, etc. Probably some kind of analog computer controlling servos and hydraulic loads. Aerodynamics? Same problem - no computers, no CFD and no wind tunnel. Creative solution - tape tufts of yarn to areas of interest on the body. Run car w/ another car traveling in parallel w/ someone on a camera. Picture of tufts gave you a rough idea of air flow.

The GT40 was so successful that the rules were changed - “If you can’t beat your competition, change the rules.”

2 Likes

A buddy of mine teaches racing for Porche of America, and he got me in a street legal Porche racer with a friend of his. The pucker factor was high. I don’t think we ever went over 120, but the turns he made at speed nearly had me changing pants.

2 Likes

II’m dating myself, but as a teenager just used to jazz up my honda 50’s performance with Po-boys nitro-methane ( Model airplanefuels)

1 Like

Smart!! That’s a good way to save on money!

1 Like

Along those lines, I belonged to a large group of airplane builders and the term, “Add lightness.” was a very popular one.

1 Like

Well, if we’re heading down that trail, NOT mentioning Colin Chapman would be ludicrous…
“Simplify, then add lightness” - Colin Chapman
“Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.” ~ Colin Chapman
More here

3 Likes

Forgot the obligatory racing car photo
https://lotuseleven.org/Race%20Success/lotus_at_lemans_1956.htm
1956 Lotus Eleven(ish)

2 Likes

Then came Porsche and the most powerful racing cars ever…and again the rules changed.

1 Like

Yup - some 1000+ hp monster. Impressive for the tech of the day. Ford entered the fray with the Probe. IMSA was their test lab for turbo / ecu research / development. Interestingly the Probe could beat the Porsche on a tight circuit where less weight and boost lag gave an advantage. And the rules changed again.

I miss the days when there were far less restrictions. Engineers reviewed the rules and came up with creative ideas that met the literal interpretation of the rules but not spirit of the rules..
Aerodynamics was / is fun area for this. How close can I get to an active suspension before tech inspection starts asking questions.

Heck, even fuel temps are now monitored. In last Sunday’s inaugural running of the Miami F1 GP, a team was sent to the back of the grid because their fuel temp was to low.

1 Like

“You don’t race cars, you race the rule book” ~ Smokey Yunick
More
Add: stories of the NASCAR legends attributed to Smokey.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that when a turbine lost on the last lap due to a $4 bearing, IIRC, the rules changed again. Rotaries also were a problem because displacement was so different.

1 Like

I’ve got a few of his books. He does like to reiterate that.

1 Like

“There’s nothing ‘stock’ about a stock car”

– Harry Hogge

1 Like

“Blueprinted and balanced.”

1 Like

Always interesting when somebody with a “totally stock” powertrain mentions the shop that built the motor.

2 Likes

“How much boost can we run?”
“What and how much did you add to the fuel?”
“How much dry ice did you pack into the intercoolers?”
-Open turbo days of F1.

1 Like