Glass Art at DMS!

I would like to take a moment to introduce myself and request your assistance. One of the main reasons I joined DMS was to have access to a kiln (and because my neighbor had had it with my noisy woodshop tools ;). I started out in the woodshop playing with my router until I met Chris Cooper at the open house in October. I was immediately enthused about the entire Fired Arts section of DMS! Since I enjoy glass mosaic, specifically glass on glass (GOG), Chris has asked me to head up a SIG to focus on revitalizing the Glass Art section of Fired Arts. The objective would be to ensure that we have the tools and workspace necessary to support whatever type of glass creation is deemed to be of interest to fellow DMS-ers or in which there is some degree of expertise.

My exposure to other types of glass art is limited, so I need your help. I am calling on any glass artists out there who are fired up about glass and would like to participate in any aspect of bringing this facet of Fired Arts to life! Please respond if you have specific skills or interest in any particular form of glass creation, whether it be stained glass (copper or lead), glass slumping, lampworking, fused glass, mosaic, or any other technique related to glass!

To kick-start things, the Fired Arts section is loaded with supplies and tools, but I do not have the knowledge to assess which are useful or necessary for various glass art techniques. I was wondering if anyone has availability to go through the shelves with me and inventory what is there and what is needed so that we can either earmark it or request it for our section!

Please respond if you are available this Wednesday, November 15th for a short bit of time somewhere between 6:00-8:00pm. We can all meet in the Fired Arts section, and let the scavenging begin!

Even if you are not available Wednesday, please let me know if you have interest or skills related to glass art. If we need to move the time or add a subsequent time, we can do whatever is necessary to accommodate! I am so super excited to get this going and am new to DMS, so feel free to respond with any thoughts or suggestions as well! You can also find me on fb contact me at [email protected] / 214.402.6200! I look forward to hearing from you!!

12 Likes

I would love to learn about glass art. I have no skills or training in it whatsoever though.

3 Likes

I have no skills but a lot of interest, particularly in mosaic and stained glass!

3 Likes

Hi Kathryn,

I actually do quite a bit of fused glass work and can definitely offer to help you or even teach a couple variations in it :). One of the kilns I use is the same (Delphi kiln) that is in fired arts too ;). I do a little bit of stained glass work also but mostly I love working with Dichroic fused glass& applying decals (enamel & gold) ;). I have been firing glass for a few years and testing out different firing times, techniques and such that I can share.

I’ll send you a message too :smiley:
Kati

2 Likes

I have done a little bit of lampwork too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was nice to meet you the other day! I’m looking forward to where your enthusiasm takes the FA Dept.

1 Like

I’m interested in glass classes. I’m at a level of knowing just enough to be dangerous (beginner or intermediate) on lamp working, stained glass, and fusing dichroic for jewelry cabs.

I’d especially be super interested in learning more lampworking. Then random other as it happens, but especially lampworking

I’m glad to see the glass classes get going. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll be there! Focusing on fused glass

3 Likes

One fused glass option:

One of the artists that I have in my Gallery is a fused glass artist - if someone wants to venture out to her home based studio on Bartonville, I am sure she would be willing to answer any questions and or give a tour of her studio. I’ve been to her place - I’ve never seen a cleaner working artist’s studio.

Glass on glass, powdered glass, jewelry and more

6 Likes

I used to do copper enamel bead bade in a torch, I used a lot of lampworking
techniques, I have not tries this since I lost so much of my sight, but I would like’to set up
with someone watching to see what I can do and what I can still teash about it

The tools needed are propane torches, some cut copper tubing’ some ceramic tiles for the enamel powert enamel powder and frit, I have enough to give us a start on itThe mandrels and cooling rack we can easily make

I am reching a class at 8 on Wed night and I will try to be there early, However I am house sitting
for my friend and she is coming back in Wed I was crazy to plan CLaa then

1 Like

I second a vote for doing what it takes to do cairenn’s copper enamel beads. I remember those all these years later and they were GORGEOUS and very versatile for jewelry.

3 Likes

I am interested, won’t know until Wed if I can be there or not.

1 Like

This is awesome info! I’d be thrilled to do that!

That would be really great to have you assist with the lampworking!

Here are a few pics of some of the fused glass in my gallery :

20171114_154813![20171114_154727|375x500](//dms-discourse-static.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/1/6/161b415c6dd7eb58497df2f6aad78f0b7c4f5bd2.jpg? n

10 Likes

Yes, please. I need a new medium in my life. I have no glass skills but I fully support your efforts and will most definitely attend classes. Thank you for putting this together!

4 Likes

AWESOME!! Great to hear that you are interested!!

Your work is beautiful!!!

I am already looking at glass to buy for my first mosaic project. I found some good websites and Hobby Lobby had a decent selection.

1 Like

one of the things you have to be aware of is that all of your glass has to be the same COE. so you cant mix and match from different vendors usually.

1 Like