Getting started using Solidworks

I am new to DMS and I worked for about 2 years with Solidworks. I do not currently have a copy. And do not have a computer to run it. I am trying to find the computer at DMS that has a copy. Would anyone be interested in helping me get started?

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/JumpServerFAQ

1 Like

Hmmm…seeing LTspice listed here. Probably needs to be updated.

tan

2 Likes
2 Likes

I beleve that one is non-functional for some reason. Apparently the install was damaged.

it launches…

can’t vouch beyond that…

Supposedly worked in May…

My information was from the class in March. I don’t remember the details.

@Xccalikid there are student licenses available through the makerspace and it is on the jump server as well.

Search in talk and there is a thread on who to talk to to get your student license codes. The student license is very capable. It should get you through everything you need.

The jump server one will pop up an error about missing databases. Click ok and it will run fine.

1 Like

@Xccalikid,

I’d suggest trying to transfer your knowledge to fusion360 or Onshape.

I spent a few years learning solid works while on a job. Once I lost access to the software, I settled into OnShape, an online free CAD. It works similarly and is fully browser based, no need for a pc you can do it on any machine you can surf the internet on. If your trying to do more complex modelling or modelling with mesh or alternative format parts, just get the free personal version of fusion 360. It is good software and thanks to the personal license getting a ton of use, so your not wasting your learning.

SOLIDWORKS 2022 is installed on the pillar of solitude computer room PC’s which are configured to use the license server. We have 7 floating licenses meaning 7 machines can run 2022 at the same time.

If there are other machines around the space that can run it and want the software let IT know and we can do that.

2 Likes

Which room is this?

I’m not sure if Onshape or Fusion 360 are free at this point. So that means paying for a license (maybe).

(image is from Brandon Green’s OnShape representation of expansion plans)

2 Likes

I presume the front of the building is at the bottom of the drawing?

Your presumption is valid.
Also, evidence supports this, given doorway designations, general shape of construction, etc. :+1:

OnShape is free to use if your willing for your files to be public. Fusion also has a free personal account option. These are current plans I currently hold both of them.

The classroom directly across from the Ladies room / Janitor’s sink in 104 that has the curtains on it. The Janitor’s sink is on the hallway that leads from the woodshop to the Lecture Hall / Interactive classrooms.

Hi, how do I access Solidworks 2022 on the Pillar of Solitude computers. Is it a special server? I’m not finding it on the PC (Note: I know the jump server has the 2017 version)

2 Likes