G10 knife scales

I recently attended a knife show which included
Current Composites

They had a variety of G10 samples left at the end of the show. I mentioned I thought people at DMS would use them and she gave me a package to share.
I’m happy to share the rep.'s contact info. As these are fairly specialized items, it seems like they might get lost on the free shelf. Does this SIG have a routine meeting or physical area? I should be at DMS sometime in the next 2 weeks.

12x6x0.27
and
12x1x0.125

db

3 Likes

I read the post and Lol’d. People at DMS will not be allowed to cut G10 at DMS. Making knife handles out of G10 was specifically brought as an example of what we don’t want people doing.

Plastics SIG is a part of machine shop, and the next meeting is March 23. If you think you can machine it safely at DMS, you should come to a board meeting and explain your plan and get it approved. I’ve milled it at home and I recently set up an air quality sensor that tracks 0.3um-5.0um particles. I think if we can show a composites project at the space is not very harmful compared to the average, then there will be a better argument to change the rules in the future.

qqqRibsanno_

1 Like

This sounds like another variant on the “no spray paint allowed at DMS” rule where it might be official policy, but it is not published in any noticable fashion that members could be aware of it.

I’ve done some knife handle work in the past, and would have had no idea whatsoever that the use of G10 was an issue.

Would you be so kind as to provide a reference for the statement that milling G10 is not permitted at DMS? There are no references to the material I found in either ‘Source’ or the historical wiki. I see one inconclusive discussion on talk at

I did not find the ‘to be discussed’ rules posted.

Many of us are not in a position to attend meetings regularly so even a topic of vigorous discussion will not be promulgated to all users.

thanks,
David

Good question. I tried to check the last years’ machine shop meeting minutes on Source but I don’t understand how to properly use that website. It is likely that I’m conflating a few details. When we were acquiring the belt sanders, the knifemaking example was brought up. That wasn’t specifically about milling, but sanding. We also brought up PCB milling. At the meeting, somebody brought up the fact that the material is abrasive and leaves a mess, and my impression was that the ban (G10 and fiberglass) remained in effect. However, I could be misremembering or fabricating the entire experience. If you find out how to read the meeting minutes then leave a link.

1 Like

I’m still learning to use source, too, but here’s what I found so far (for general purposes; I’m guessing you did something similar).
Search for a phrase I know exists (5C collet), in the “machine shop” and “pig-sig” spaces:

The results:

Change the words to something I hope to find:

As far as I can tell, nothing about “G10” or “fiberglass” are in the meeting minutes for Machine Shop nor PIG-SIG. Doesn’t mean it isn’t there, or that the ban isn’t in effect, but does mean I’m also not able to find the info.

Plenty of “fiberglass” on the wiki, nothing meaningful on it or “g10 | G10 | g-10 | G-10”.

1 Like

Some high-power rocketeers may want those for fins.

In the blacksmith shop I’m trying to build some inventory for fellow knife makers. I’ve got some g10 in the left file cabinet in on the middle shelf. Got black g10 sheet. Just a storage spot and g10 is great handle material. Just a thought

Machine Shop addressed the issue initially on the Shapeoko 3 XXL, specifically due to concerns about “dust” collection:

The Materials section states:

ALLOWED:

Plastics
Glass (diamond drag bit engraving only)
Soft metal, thin, as noted earlier

NOT ALLOWED:

Any cutting oil or coolant
Fiberglass, composites or any materials containing toxic 
additives
Wood (allowed only with the explicit, advance permission of the 
committee chair - and we can't think of a good reason
why this would be given)

This has become the de facto policy for all of the PIG SIG equipment. We could probably do a better job of documenting it.

1 Like

I will bring this up again at the next machine shop meeting. G10 should be safe on the nomad due to the enclosure, but that is a committee decision not mine as sig leader. I will gather data and make sure the result is a definitive rules list that is available and posted.

3 Likes

Thanks for doing this. We also need to be explicit about processing on the other machines that don’t have dust collection.

I just joined DMS, I need an introductory class to blacksmithing. do you have more information on who

teaches the class, also time and date…

Since you responded to his message, that will put a blue dot on his pic in the upper corner of his screen. That should be enough to bring his attention to this message.

Classes tend to be put up as they are requested. You should go ahead and list times that you’re available, and then Nick can see where that matches his schedule and put a class on the Calendar.

1 Like

Got a message sent to him in regards to times available. Thank you!

1 Like