Fusion and pdf question

Now that Adobe Creative Suite is no longer on the laser computers, I’m having beast of a time getting a work flow that will get my vectors printed to Fusion.

What “app” should I use to print a vectorized pdf to Fusion? I can’t seem to find anything on that computer that recognizes a vectorized pdf as vectors.

I’ve uninstalled all the previous versions, so now it has a nice clean installation of Inkscape, and also Adobe Acrobat reader for PDFs

I typically use Acrobat to print pdfs to the fusion

1 Like

Why do we not have Adobe CC?

And can we just bring our own computers up and remote into them? Give us a place to colo our own computer we can remote into. We are all entitled to the same version.

I want my own Solidworks, Adobe, etc., instead of having to rely on DMS’s wildly outdated licenses (even though we are entitled to latest).

The software incompatibles at DMS are absurd. We have been fighting this for YEARS. Infrastructure is overworked and years behind, no fault of their own.

I constantly have to go to my office to revise files because our versions at Dallas makerspace are not compatible with the version I work with on a daily basis. It is fucking intolerable.

From what I understand, there are five licenses to CC.

• Four of them are in Digital Media, where they are all unavailable when there is a class or an event or a shoot in there.

• One is in CA.

• None are in the Common Room, so if you want to print you have to run back and forth from DM or CA - which is a real joy if you’re using custom paper.

• None are in Laser either.

You can connect your own computer to the main printer in the Common room.

Maybe somebody on the laser team can tell us whether it’s possible to connect your own computer to the lasers. I know some of us are Adobe subscription users so that would sure make our lives a lot easier!

1 Like

I don’t care. I own licenses for everything I need. I just want to colo a computer that I can remote into and use my own software. I have illustrator, which is all I need from that. Solidworks Professional, etc…

I can’t speak for Solidworks as I dont use it, but for Adobe;

Like Chris mentioned, we do have CC. We don’t have more than 5 licenses for several reasons, mostly financial, but @jphelps can expand on that.
Laser doesn’t have it installed because they don’t want folks camped at their computers designing. I understand the need for edits though, but it helps me get my daily steps in to do those. Inconvenient sure, not the end of the world.

Me too, but i can’t afford Adobes ridiculous pricing model!

Not true. I know I’ve personally updated Adobe within the last month or two. If there is a specific Adobe PC that needs updating, create an issue/request ticket. What exactly have you been fighting for years??

Is this for Adobe? What version are you using?? If one of our machines is that outdated, just create an issues/Request ticket for whichever of the 5 Adobe computers needs an update. Infra will be happy to update it when they can.

Sorry, now i’m confused, i thought you said you wanted your own Adobe earlier?

I’m not sure what you mean by “want to colo a computer” but we can remote out from DMS computers, so long as the target computer allows it. Jay can probably answer that better than I can though.

Either way, if you have an issue just create a ticket and infra will work on it

Hope this helps!

1 Like

It sounds like they want to be able to put one of their computers at DMS more permanently and allow themselves to use it.

Which we do not allow because of liability/security/safety of it.

And as mentioned, although there’s been a lot of complaints about XYZ, there are very few actual tickets/actual requests for getting S certain setups done. Some things will be very difficult to handle, Adobe CC licensing for us is really freaking annoying. We currently have it only in digital media and CA… It might make sense to get at least one of the design computers in the common room licensed for it at the very least.

The laser computers are probably going to get an entire rehaul when they get moved. They’re old and outdated themselves and need a little bit of love. We’re also looking at getting a couple of actual design computers for the laser lab. The computers that will be attached directly to the lasers are still going to not be for design and mostly just going to be for opening/ viewing the files and not modifying them at all… I believe that we are always looking for infrastructure and group volunteers, remember that if you don’t like how it goes, volunteer/ come to the IT meetings and start a discussion

2 Likes

Putting one copy in Common room would be awesome!!

Out of curiosity, is there a way to cut out the laser PC from the workflow if I have my own laptop with adobe pro and CC suite? I assume I’d have to have the epilog software, but if I did, it that even possible (to send directly from my laptop I mean)? I too have had issues where it’s not reading a layer or I need to tweak something that didn’t cut right, and it would be lovely to be able to not have to send the file back to my pc, work, send it back to the laser pc, see if it works, send to laser, see if it cuts, repeat if not. Depending on what I’ve remembered to bring that’s either a) usb, b) member drive or c) email for moving the files back and forth. Luckily I’ve never held anyone up that’s waiting, but it would be a lot faster to cut waste from that workflow.

sometimes I spend too long prepping something at home and doesn’t cut/raster how I expect :frowning:

1 Like

My typical toolchain starts with Solidworks and that is actually my main complaint. The version of Solidworks on the jump server is 5-6 years behind what we get as members (I also have a license at work). File formats aren’t compatible so even a small change means I need to go to either home or work to make it.

Export as parasolid: x_t. Pick an old version. I used 27.0. You’ll lose the feature tree going in one direction, but you’ll always have the same geometry.

If you post a pic with an example of what you’re trying to change, I can show you how to do it faster without using the history.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SolidWorks/comments/umgxh9/if_someone_sent_a_parasolid_file_from_the_2021/

Why don’t you remote to your computer at home from DMS?

I mean, I’m not who you are replying to, but even when I have my laptop with me it’s still a bit of a pain in the butt to take files back and forth from three machines when something doesn’t work as expected. For me it’s usually layers not being recognized properly or something. Just want to cut out a device from the workflow. Shrug

1 Like

More licenses could be purchased for Adobe CC. Money isn’t that tight, is it? For folks that have their own software, you can shuffle files with the file server or USB drives.

1 Like

Does Adobe not offer floating licenses in addition to node-locked? Maybe the floating license premium is too steep?

In the typical engineering environment floating licenses are almost always used for $$$ software.

Of course, floating licenses open up the possibility that folks can keep a license occupied disproportionately.

Copying files over Remote Desktop is literally copy and paste. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V just work.

The members drive should be available? You can copy and paste to that but please don’t rely on it for long term file storage.

That’s only possible with windows pro. The machine you remote in to has to have a Pro license. Do the laser machines have pro?

Side question, have you tried it out on those PCs? When I’ve needed to remote in for work I find moving files from the remote desktop and real desktop to be fairly laggy.

All of our windows computers at the space should be Windows education/pro, and have the ability to do so. We do not, however, keep remote desktop enabled on every single desktop, so that may not actually be an option here.

A lot of these issues were planned to be resolved with the migration/expansion. But I cannot speak to that anymore.

Ah I see. I did wonder given that there is only 1 PC for the fusion. Seems problematic if someone remoted in and booted a user on it.

@Julie-Harris re:Members drive. I thought the only way to access it from a personal PC was through the jump server? Is the idea that (assuming the fusion PC has RDC enabled), one would remote it from their laptop and then be able to use only their laptop to seamlessly
go between their personal PC programs and the programs on the fusion PC?