Freebie Shelf/Donations/Electronics

Many moons ago myself and a number of other folks raided/collected electronics from Fred’s Warehouse.
See here: Warehouse Gathering

In any case, I’ve decided that I have lots of things I will not use in my life time. I have too many interests these days. A lot of the stuff has real value if I was to sell it on ebay, but I don’t feel this is the purpose Fred intended his generous gift for.

As a result I will be bringing a lot of stuff to DMS over the upcoming weeks. The first batch is coming Tuesday I think. I’m going to put it on the Freebie shelf unless someone like @artg_dms tells me to put it somewhwhere else.

Here are some of the pictures from the collection. Note the numerous fans in the box. There are both 220V and 110V in the box. There are some lithium batteries in the box. Some transformers and some relays. Oh and a cool frequency oscillator/signal generator.

This is just the beginning of the collection because Fred’s warehous was huge and some of us got a little carried away with our collections.

If you’re interested it should go onto the shelf before the blacksmithing committee meeting at 7PM on Tuesday.

Also I’m going to bring some wood pen blanks/scraps which I intended to make pens, bottle stoppers or christmas ornaments from. Most of the wood is domestic although there might be a stray exotic in the collection. If no one wants them I’ll stop by after a week or so and dispose of them appropriately. Most of the pen blanks are labeled but I confess I got a little carried away making blanks from almost any kind of wood I could get my hands on. FYI: There is no way to make 1000 pens in my lifetime and I’ll bet that is how many blanks I have left at home. I know there is some bois d arc, elm, oak and cypress in the lot, but I don’t recall all of the rest.

5 Likes

I would like to see the gear motor go to metal shop. We can create a welding positioner with it.

2 Likes

Gear motor appears to be dc. Will need speed cntrl and maybe the transformer. Can’t tell if everything is connected together.

edit - Starting to have flashbacks :laughing:

When I come onTuesday, I’ll drop it off in the metal shop. I’d love to see it get some use by DNS.

The gear motor with the reduction on it is 115V AC. I ran it today. The motor has a speed controller connected to it, too.

Motor plate says dc. Also looks like motor has brushes. Guessing speed cntrl takes care of this.

Sorry Art. You’re right the actual motor is DC. The speed controller however I plugged into regular wall plug.

First give away is in the second pict. That little round button w/ a slot in it (just above the right back side of transformer) is probably brush holder. After a few rounds in the school of hard knocks dealing with bad brushes, one recognizes the “feature”.

I am interested in some of the pen blanks. Just upgraded to a larger wood lathe and got a bunch of supplies to start making pens but don’t have any blanks yet. Not currently a DMS member but work nearby and can meet up.

Shawn, I;m planning to be at DMS around 6PM this evening. I’m going to put everything on the freebie shelf then. I hope you can make it. I’m sure someone will let you in to peruse the pen blanks.

1 Like

In addition to the photos above (previously posted) I’m going to leave some other electronic components:, connectors, resistors, relays, capacitors, switches heat sinks etc, on the freebie shelf, too

Here are some photos:

I’ve also decided to bring some more leather pieces. Most are less than 14x14 but you are welcome to peruse them.

I’ll also be bringing some more wood blanks of various types including sycamore, sapelle, and maple. (They are not bowl size but could be used for smaller items)

As I make trips to the space each week, I’ll be bringing more components etc for the freebie shelf.
There is just no way to use 100+ heat sinks or 1000+ resistors etc. Hopefully, somone can find a use for them. I hear they can be used in artistic endeavors as well as electronics.

2 Likes

I’m going to take a look at any small wood blanks you bring in. As you might guess, a pen blank makes a fair amount of “lumber” for me!

3 Likes

I could use some of the heatsinks. Will be there by 6.

1 Like

I dropped off the motor in the metal shop tonight. It was on the first table in the shop on the left after entering the door.

Thank you Dan

Thanks for the heatsinks, 1/4 watt resistors, and ceramic caps!

I shared some of the heatsinks with Shawn as he asked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are more electronics to come. I’m going to be sorting through it in the upcoming week.

Science could use a 48v to 170v DC power supply and some nixie tubes if you have any

1 Like

How much of Fred’s Treasure™ is sitting around unused?

I know much of what I took has not been touched since. It was not a matter of what I needed at the moment but an attempt to keep what I thought I might need in the future from being trashed.

Thanks for doing something beneficial about it.

1 Like

I suspect quite a bit is unused. It some ways I felt I was helping Fred clear the warehouse but I’m definitely bringing more of it to DMS.

1 Like