Fossil/crystal digging- interested?

Any further updates on this? A date picked or anything?

I could swear I saw 4/28 posted somewhere, but I can’t find it on this thread. @jamierazzz ?

2 Likes

We are waiting on Gloria to get the final details ironed out but yes Ladonia Fossil Park is the main entry to the river where we will be looking for fossils!

Rough expectations for those of you needing more details now, Gloria did say the earlier we leave the better in order to avoid heat and bugs.

• April 28 is the day
  • bring a pack lunch, water, snacks
  • leave in the AM (to be determined by gloria)
  • it is about 1.5 hour drive from the space, arrange your own carpools either here in this thread or with buddies at the space
  • we plan on being back by 3:30pm at the latest.

Also, @Team_Digital_Media does anyone have a way of microphoning gloria as she walks and talks so we can hear fun facts? Seems we have quite the large group going and it would be good for everyone to be able to hear the guide.

7 Likes

This sounds awesome, is there a person limit.

we plan on being back by 3:30pm at the latest.

Assuming the plan isn’t to leave early in the AM, is the walk anticipated to be around 2 hours? Back by 3:30 means leaving at 2pm sounds like. Like couple hours plus lunch hour? Or is the plan for a much longer hike?

3:30pm is the latest in which we would be back, we are still waiting to hear back for details.

It is an hour and a half drive there, same drive back. Three hours of driving plus 2 hours of river walk/lunch. That’s at least a 5 hour day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ack, typo! Sorry

No limit, we just need to make sure everyone is able to either drive or arrange carpool :slight_smile:

Gloria has sent the official itinerary for the trip!
These are screen shots of it, but I am posting the actual links at the end of this post, so scroll down to check them out.

We do not have an official car pool sign up for this trip, but if you have extra spaces in your vehicle or need a ride, let folks know in this thread and we will get everyone accommodated.

THERE ARE NO FACILITIES AT LADONIA FOSSIL PARK! Here is a list of nearby places with food/water/bathrooms:

Facilities in Ladonia:

Pig and whistle cafe

The Grub Box near pelican gap

Mama’s food trailer on 1550

Check the weather before leaving home to ensure conditions of the river are good:
WaterWeatherGov

Is this trip for me? Video link
Is this trip for me? Video link 2

Excited for the trip! :smile:

5 Likes

There was this Welcome sign at the parking lot last time I was there. It was real easy to find.

3 Likes

UPDATE ON FOSSIL DIG FIELD TRIP! :rock:

RESCHEDULING DUE TO WEATHER

Gloria and I have now planned to reschedule this event for

JUNE 2,

as it is looking like the weather will not be working for us this weekend. :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

We were initially going to wait until tomorrow to see about rescheduling, but it is looking bleak, so we are cancelling now so y’all can replan this weekend accordingly.

All itinerary will be the same, the date is the only thing changing- for Sunday June 2.

Can we get a count of everyone hoping to attend?

7 Likes
June 2nd - Fossil Hike w/ Ceramics :slight_smile:
  • Attending
  • Not attending
  • Tentative

0 voters

1 Like

I added the placeholder to my calendar. I’m tentative but if I’m able to attend I’ll probably bring 3 people.

1 Like

Same here!

1 Like

Placeholder too. If I can make it, I may also have another person with me.

1 Like

My girlfriend and I are interested still. Put us down on tentative for now since it’s a ways out yet.

1 Like

Is that 15 hrs or 1.5 hrs…??

1.5 hours, so 3 hours estimated total driving time

1 Like