Festool Kapex Miter Saw - Why did DMS get it?

This question is for members who have been around for sometime. Does anyone remember why the Bosch miter saw was replaced with the Kapex? Was it operational issues with Bosch, or just the Kapex was the latest and greatest?

To save someone else the effort, I went through all of the posted wood shop meeting minutes and didn’t see anything.

paging @bertberaht

I’m tagging Bert, as he was still a member when this change was made.

1 Like

It was replaced by Mark and Mike due to continuing repair problems with the DeWalt that DeWalt refused to continue to fix under warranty IIRC. Supposedly the Kapex had a better warranty (but I have no way of knowing it that is true or if they have/had an appetite for keeping DMS tools repaired.) The advantages it has over the DeWalt IMO primarily consisted of a softer start that didn’t try to jerk itself out of your hand. The other non-intuitive features like how the head locks, etc. have been a consistent problem for DMS.

Since this is being asked about … maybe thought is being given to a replacement. If that is true, I’d recommend you take a hard look at Makita. I have used two different Makita sliding miter saws and they are hands down my favorite. Soft start and a lower RPM means no torque jerk and lower noise level. Both of mine (original & current) have been easy to calibrate and reliable.

Here’s a post that must have been not long after the Kapex was purchased: Tool status board Festool compound miter

Note: I just noticed the original post said Bosch. Was the Bosch after the Dewalt or before? Don’t remember. In any event whatever immediately preceded the Festool Kapex was supposedly under warranty but warranty service was refused after too many trips for repair.

3 Likes

Thanks for chiming in.
. I agree Makita’s are great as I have owned a 10" slider and it was super smooth. Much nicer than the 780 Dewalt I sold off. I currently have both the 7-1/4" and 12" Milwaukees, but mainly because they are on the same battery platform as my Milwaukee table saw. The basic issue in the wood shop is the depth of the cabinet. It isn’t going to get any better with the new build-out. DMS needs a saw that doesn’t require space behind for the glides. The Kapex and the Bosch both pull forward, instead of push back into the wall. So the Kapex replaced the Dewalt? Or did the Kapex replace the Bosch GCM12SD https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-gcm12sd-33969-p/. We have the Bosch sitting on a pallet in storage. Truth be told, we need two saws ready to go, so when one is the shop we can keep moving. The Kapex could really use some help, but it is the only saw we currently have that is known good.

I recall the sequence as:

1. DeWalt
  2. Bosch
  3. Festool

My sense is that DMS needs a robust chop saw that can maintain a right angle first and foremost.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with you @ESmith. I wonder if we could enjoy two saws, one next to the other? One for rough cuts and one for fine finish work. Could we train the 7th graders to use the rugged one 99% of the time, or maybe place an Interlock on the fancy saw?

1 Like

Makita has a “sliding” miter that competes in the short pull category.

Yes, by having the other one out of service 100% of the time.

2 Likes

I was thinking there might be a third one.

LS1219L

12" Dual‑Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser

https://www.makitatools.com/products/tools/corded/saws/miter-saws

Toolnut has it for $739.00

https://www.toolnut.com/makita-ls1219l-12-dual-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser.html

Really think it would hold up against our army of destructors?

Not all of them, but probably most. I haven’t used that model, but I suspect it will be more intuitive for DMS users than the Kapex. I know that anytime I’m needing a tool and a Makita is affordable for my wallet, Makita wins. They just build solid tools with well thought out features that work very dependably.

All of the green dials are great, but only if you are educated. The Kapex is a great saw, but its real value is the height of the nested crown, and base it can cut as a 10" saw(reduced weight), and the ease in which a bevel can be dialed in. The 10" blade has less run out and vibration, so the cuts are cleaner. I expect 95% of DMS users have no idea as to why what I wrote actually has value in a shop or on a jobsite.

3 Likes

So back then there was a sort of desire or mentality to have the tools and equipment on hand facilitate not just what it’d be used for day to day but to also encourage people to get more interested and be able to do more finer woodworkings, Ie that’s why they had a full set of chisels Japanese saws etc etc so this was justified back then by mark and Kris to be a step in the investing into woodshop to like our motto suggest facilitating growth and encourage exploration of creating things not so more or less just compensating for the simplest of needs possible. But doing so it requires understanding of it’s going to take a constant input of $, so that was done away with long ago! But as far as the old miter I don’t remember there being an issue before it was replaced although it did seem to just vanish cause I haven’t seen it since

That’s all well and good, but I suspect that cutting stock to length - most of it likely of the two-by variety - is the overwhelming use case for a chop/miter saw in the woodshop.

2 Likes

there was a big push from the woodshop elite to get the expensive stuff because it would give better results. but that kind of tool is made for the woodshop person who really knows their stuff and their way around a tool. the basic makerspace user knows enough to be dangerous with a tool and almost always has no idea how much a tool actually costs. both of these factors lead to much harsher use on the tools thus requiring a more sturdy tool, usually at the cost of the “high end” stuff.

it’s a lot easier to replace a mid grade tool than a super high end tool.

2 Likes

Where do round at? I think I’m in the 94.9992%

DMS isn’t a hot bed of crown molding, or bevel cuts. It takes less skill to accomplish a superior cut edge on the table saw utilizing a sled, than to consistently produce quality angled cuts with the miter saw. The miter saw isn’t the friend of the average hobbyist wanting to make a clean and accurate angled cuts. This is why there are very accurate miter gauges such as the Incra ones sold for table saws. You will rarely, if ever catch a wood turner creating segmented bowl blanks on the miter saw. Box makers won’t be caught dead trying to create a tight joint on miter saw. The Kapex is for production trim, and cabinet work.

The DMS Kapex seems to be on its last legs, at least until it visits the service center again. Should we see if the Bosch located in storage is still serviceable? @IanLee . Maybe @got_tools or @pjolone1 have information. I’m concerned the shop will be without a major tool heading into the holiday season. We have no idea how long Festool might take to service it with all the supply chain issues.

Man, I hope my miter saw never learns this. I cut frames with really tight 45⁰ joints pretty regularly. Did I mention I love my Makita?

2 Likes

We had/have one. It’s been destroyed. DMS users could destroy the utility of a brick if given the chance.

2 Likes

No I agree, either extreme will only hurt the woodshop, but there’s that balance between the 2 that should be strived for, not just providing the bare essentials, and not appealing to every woodworking whim but providing the facilites to encourage more people to venture into fine woodworking while also not buying the Ferrari of tools!