Exploding Fire Extinguisher (Don't set this off in your hands)

In planning the up coming PAT Pyro event, I ran across an interesting Fire Extinguishing Device.

This is an exploding fire extinguisher. I kind of want to try this out on our burn out pile at the event. Here is a picture of the use case.

If you are now wondering why I posted, “Don’t set this off in your hands?” Here is a youtube video showing a father doing just that. He isn’t hurt in the video, he is just a bad role model for his kid at this moment.

Don’t set off explosives in your hand, it is never a good idea. Judging by the pop, had the explosive settled to the bottom of the device it could of blown through the gloves and harmed his hand. I would guess this explosive equivalent to 2 or 3 tea spoons of gun powder or really crappy flash powder, which lit in contact with the hand would easily burn if not rip flesh.

1 Like

haha… wow. He stated that he didn’t know what it was made of, yet he still set it off in his hand.

1 Like

Yeah,
Not even knowing the type of explosive and lighting it in your hand is such a bad idea.

2 Likes

But it makes a “cool” YouTube video! haha… I wonder how many times that thought has been the catalyst for someone getting injured or killed. smh…

Thats really an amazing invention.

Sad that people will do so many risky things just for a little internet fame. (Goes to light a whistle rocket)

Ignoring the video, nice to see a modern replacement for the antique glass fire grrenades filled with carbon tet.

2 Likes

The sad thing is there is probably some scum sucking law firm out there that will sue the manufacturer for “not” warning people enough or similar when someone does get hurt

I doubt they would get much money from the company. There are two makers of these and neither is based in the USA. The original was made by a Thai company I think they were called “Elite” and the “AFO” brand is a Chinese knock off. Odds are the product would be re-branded under another made up company rather than paying any legal fees. The only way to stop them would be banning the product out right or categorize it as a firework which would also limit it’s sales and shipping options…

The problem with the ambulance chasing lawyers is that they go for the money trail. it doesn’t have to be the manufacturer - just the folks with the deepest pockets…I’m surprised youtube hasn’t been sued for “enabling” folks with ideas …gotta love the PC world of terms for idiots today.

Dynamite will also put out a fire. Think he’d be dumb enough to light that in his hand if we have him a stick? >:-)

We actually got to try that at one of the events, it worked very well.

I guess that explains why there aren’t very many of those… they invariably lose those lawsuits, hand over fist. And since what would be their generally lower-income clientele requires them to take cases on contingency…

The vast majority of lawyers that actually make a lot of money do so by working for guys with deep pockets – not going after them.

Because it’s hard to go after them – because they have so many well-paid lawyers working for them…

But hey, let’s make like some “scum sucking law firm” that takes a case to help out John Q. Trailer Park against some enormous company with an in-house legal team is worse than the company that shafted 10,000 John Q.'s for every one that actually sues them… yeeeeeah not so much.

There’s a reason lawyers get MBAs but CEOs don’t get law degrees… and it ain’t because CEOs just don’t think the extra education is too much hassle to be worth a “pay bump.”