Electronics store near MakerSpace?

Hello :wave:t5: there! It has been quite a while.
Quick question. Is the electronics store around the corner from DMS still in business?

If so, what is the name of the store?
If not, are there any recommendations?

I am Kit Bashing/ ScratchBuilding a spaceship for a film I am shooting.

Take care, DMS!

1 Like

Unfortunately, Tanner Electronics closed last year.

1 Like

Hello Bernard. I am really sorry to hear that. What an amazing store…
Do you have any other recommendations?

I’m unaware of anything close.

For surplus-y type stuff BG Micro in Garland is good. They mostly do internet sales and don’t have a retail showroom, though one used to be able to drop by (Covid may have changed this).

For a limited selection of discrete component and a very healthy selection of uC development boards (Pi, Beaglebone, Arduino, etc) and various compatible boards with sensors, etc., MicroCenter is hard to beat.

4 Likes

It depends on what you’re looking for.

• For consumer electronics and prototype stuff, I’d go to MicroCenter on 75 in Richardson.
  • For components that are still being made, I’d go with Mouser.com and if they let me do a will call in Mansfield, or select USPS for $8 and get it next day because we’re close.
  • For old components that are no longer being manufactured, There’s a local place BG Micro that has a lot of good stock.
  • For dev boards that you can wait for, I’d go Adafruit or Sparkfun.
7 Likes

@malcolmputer — Thank you SO MUCH. I do appreciate your advice. Take care…

1 Like

@mdredmond Matt Thank you so much for your advice!

Even the Plano HAM-COM Amateur Radio Convention, that is usually held in June, has closed down for good. It was always held at the Plano Convention Center and was the largest Convention of its type in Texas. They also closed in 2020 due to COVID-19. This Convention was always a great source of new and used electronic parts.

1 Like

When is the Rich yard sale?

1 Like

Sorry, I shipped all my goodies with me to Knoxville, Tennessee. I moved here just before Christmas.

Heh…what about all those electronic parts that Art Givens received from Tanners? Art, @artg_dms, is the one that should be having a yard sale.

1 Like

That’s true. There are stacks and stacks in the secret spot…

1 Like

Thank you for the information , Rich. that is a great idea. I can look for other events like the one you mentioned.

On another note, now that I remember, there used to be something called “second Saturday” if I remember correctly. I will try and check them out.

Thank you again for your feedback!

The old first and third Saturday sidewalk sales that used to be held in downtown Dallas have long since ceased operation. They used to be a great place to pick up electronics and computer hardware but they faded away as the used equipment market diminished as the cost of new hardware came down.

There is not really any local electronic hobbyist type stores anymore left in the DFW metroplex that I am aware of that you can just walk in and browse like Tanners used to be.

3 Likes

I recall that First Saturday was in a parking lot and beyond at Ross and Central. We would jump curbs to park anywhere we could. The Arts District did not think this was up to their standards for the area and called out the Parking Patrol SWAT Team to write tickets. With very limited free parking and cheaper hardware mentioned above, this decades old tradition died.

Those were the days!!!

1 Like

Altex has/had some electronic items the last time I was there. It’s been 10-15 years since I’ve been there, so they may have changed their lineup.

2 Likes

Altex does not carry much electronic components anymore. Raymond bought out some of the stuff as they downsized that section of the store. They still have tons of computer and networking hardware and accessories.

2 Likes

Oh yes, those were the days. The First Saturday Swap Meet was started by Amateur Radio vendors, then expanded into everything electronics, then finally just computer vendors in it’s final days. There used to be a Heathkit Store there near the corner of Ross Ave and Central Expressway. Many a time I would set up and sell surplus electronic parts out of my pickup truck at the sale. I would start selling at 6 AM and be done by Noon.

So, here is a story about the First Saturday Sale…

I was working at Texas Instruments and our entire Department was moving to a new location. Every Engineer back then (pre-Internet age in the early 1980’s) had office shelves full of component manufacturer’s data books (the old hard copy type). There were stacks and stacks of these data books that were being tossed out into the trash. Several of us Engineer’s approached management and got permission to take all these data books and give them away at the First Saturday Sale. We had 2 pickup trucks fully loaded and a camper/truck full, must have been over 300 boxes full of books. We arrived early at the sale, placed a blue tarp out on the ground, and started a huge pile. Our sign read, “Take what you need…leave some for others.” The pile was about 4 feet high in the center. As the pile was depleted we just threw on more boxes of books. By Noon time the pile was down to a very few books about radar components. Now, keep in mind that back in these days only Engineers had access to these data books, the hobbyist was just out of luck…that is until that day we gave them all away. That sure was a fun day…giving back to the hobbyists.

9 Likes

I used to collect three of my closest electronics/computer hobbist friends and head down almost anytime there was a sidewalk sale. Parking was a premium but the hassle was well worth it.

My favorite story is: I was looking to build a new computer and I had just bought a new motherboard. I was in the market for a new case, too. My friend was also in the market for a case so we were in a polite competition to find the best deal. We stumbled on a guy selling them IN THE BOX and he wanted $20 for the case. I told him that was more or less retail and he said take it or leave it. My friend got him to knock off a buck and bought one. I decided to keep looking. I hadn’t gone more than one aisle over when I found the exact case for $15. It was also in the box. Apparently, some retailer unloaded them in lots and these guys bought them to sell at the sidewalk sale. I offered him $13 and he took it. My friend was very unhappy that I out witted him as he was famous for his “bargaining” skills. The best $6 I ever saved.

Good times indeed. I often bought stuff I had no use for, but wanted to learn more about. I also recall there were some good “old” radio gear you could buy there. My dad, loved radios of all kinds. I wish I had only a fraction of his collection. I enjoyed meeting fellow geeks there, too. Always someone to debate the latest motherboard, latest radio gear or latest hot game out with.

I miss Tanner’s, too.

6 Likes

I used to run into Frank Tanner, Jim’s dad at First Saturday’s he was the ultimate analog/tube guy.

P.S. - There was a guy that sold German sausages out of a trailer, best 4am breakfast ever!

3 Likes

The Wurst Wagon. Had breakfast off that food vendor many times.

2 Likes