Electronics Lab update

Please PM me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks
Art

Do we still have the reflow oven?

Going to try my hand at laser cutting some stencils!

If youā€™re inquiring of the ELab, the answer is no. We had one that was part of the pick n place set up which was returned to the owner. Some while back one showed up in the ELab that had 2 pwr cords coming out of it. May have belonged to DPRG. We have a member who occasionally brings one in.

Ok, thatā€™s what I needed to know. The reflow oven is useful even w/o a P&P machine, so thatā€™s something to consider for the future.

Iā€™ll stick with the skillet reflow method for now. :slight_smile:

I have an uncontrolled convection toaster oven if you want to try to control it manually. You would need to insert a temp probe and manually manipulate the on/off control to get your temp profile. It would take some practice. Canā€™t be much worse than a skillet :slight_smile: but it might be an improvement since you could do a pre-soak.

Iā€™ll go you one better: Iā€™ve got a couple if process controllers and an old toaster oven. Itā€™ll just take some motivation on my part to make it all go. :slight_smile:

A toaster oven with a controller could be handy for several things. I have a spool or two of filament that appears to have absorbed a good deal of water. ( itā€™s turned rather brittle ). Iā€™ve read that a few hours in low electric heat might fix that.

Descent triac, process controller, temperature sensor. Should be a doable project. Iā€™m up for helping.

With a moderate duty cycle and a non-PWM controller, a relay will suffice rather than a triac.

The controllers will handle either a RTD (resistive) or a thermocouple. Amazingly enough, there are RTDs which can tolerate fairly high temperatures.

Triacs are cheap. And will last a lot longer than a relay in that application. Quieter too.

What types of TC can your controller use ? I might be able to find some around work.