Electronics Lab update

1. All 3 Rigol scopes have been updated w/ the Serial Decoder option. Instructions on how to use are in the manual. There’s a link to the manual in the tool wiki. Also there are utube videos.

2. Walter did an introductory class on the National Instruments Virtual Bench (NI VB)

Analyzing the response of a rf filter.

3. Pick n Place machine. We need some folks to step up and do classes and projects on this machine. If there are no classes/projects by December, it will probably be sold.

5 Likes

I’ll be at DMS tomorrow evening to help sort parts and re-arrange the place a bit. Let’s make our available storage space awesome!

[edit]

I think the Pick ‘n’ Place machine is of limited value for hobbyists, and the money from the sale of that could go toward other tools.

2 Likes

This is unfortunate because it could be really great in the right situation, but I don’t know what that is. Having done a 10-board run by hand though, I think that’s about the point where you need it, placing a few thousand components.

1 Like

@artg_dms - I can come up tomorrow night too. Would be a good excuse to pull the new truck into the auto bay and install some running boards. :slight_smile:

I’m in the same boat on the Pick n Place. It requires special training, purchase of spools of components, and major setup which really is only of benefit if you’re running more than 10 to 20 boards.

Do we have any members with Kickstarter projects in the works for the next 12 to 18 months that would warrant keeping it? Perhaps a Kickstarter check-in thread would be a good idea.

You should give those that donated it the right of first refusal to have it back. @Andrew_Falgout

2 Likes
  1. Can you really get much $ for it?
  2. Its a nice selling point to be able to say “We have a pick and place system available if your project sets up in that direction”.
  3. If I have project headed toward manufacturing, I look for the prototype/starting volume facility to be one and the same. It turns out that the set of problems a designer will face with their design will vary some from house to house. I like a manufacturing facility with some volume capability for my first runs, as the tooling for a run of boards is considerable. I try to work through that set of issues for setup of a run as few times as possible, 1 is ideal. 0 would be better, but I have never been able to quite pull that one off…

ELab at space is looking really, really nice. I think it is most improved DMS interest area I have seen in my 2 years of membership. Kudos to Art and Ken. I’ll be up there soon to for some of my e projects. I’ll be there in 01 millennia…lol…

2 Likes

Based on the space that the PnP takes up, versus the total use it has seen, I don’t think this is a compelling argument. The spectrum of application is much narrower than, say, a power supply or o-scope.

Divide by zero error

1 Like

I thought you used it once?

My understaning is that it has only been used once by @benemorius

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

I’ve only done one project where it might have been useful, but I didn’t bother.

Mostly because I had a hand-assembly process that I knew worked, and besides the pick and place, I would have had to sort out a new stencil process and getting the oven working.

That was about the biggest job I could do though, with that hand process. It was a LOT of work.

Did you happen to get a paste stencil for that job? I haven’t used one yet, but I’ve seen people getting them (even nice metallic ones).

I just, laboriously, hand-solder all my stuff down.

I use a paste syringe and hot air because of the power pad chips I use. It also works for Rs and Ls and Cs a little faster if you get a rhythm.

I am a little afraid of the stencil because the paste dries up if you leave it out too long, and the huge mess of lead microballs it is guaranteed to make.

Lampy:
Thank you for being courteous enough to think of those that brought the equipment into the space. If it is unwanted it can be removed.

Does the Committee want the Pick and Place gone? If that is the wish of the Chair, that dream can become a reality.

2 Likes

I think one of the issues with using the pick and place is that the reflow oven is apparently useless. Something about assuming the reference temperature for the thermocouple to be 25C…

No immediate action to be taken on this. Will re-evaluate end of Oct. With new benches and gear - courtesy of Mouser - storage space is becoming a premium.

Glad you responded to this thread and will definitely keep you in the loop.

Thanks

Speaking of things that may not be currently getting any use, what is the status of the white rfid cabinets project?

1 Like

They are being used. They are not going away/moving.

As for the rfid project - that is the eternal question for an eternal project…:scream:

@zmetzing has a stand alone version working for the HAAS. He has said that if someone gave him access to the active directory system, he could incorporate it into his RFID system fairly quickly… Might be worth giving Zach a shot at getting the system working…

His system has the additional advantage of being fairly cheap in terms of needed hardware…

Everyone already “has access” to Active Directory. That’s how it works :slight_smile:

Just log onto the jump server and click the start button and type: dsa.msc

Welcome to Active Directory :smiley:

3 Likes