Dynatorch Help - Something's Wrong in My Process (and I think it's metric vs SAE)

I did Dynatorch training several years ago and used it quite a bit in the past, but haven’t used it recently. I went last night to try to cut something and ran into a problem with the model not fitting on the table when I brought it into the DynaTorch software. I think I’m doing something wrong where one of the softwares is doing a weird inch/metric conversion, but I don’t know how to fix that.

But to be honest, there may be a flaw earlier in my process, so I’m going to walk through it from start to finish to see if someone can aid me in identifying the flaw.

I design stuff in Fusion 360. In general, I use millimeters as the measurement unit in Fusion because most of these parts are intended for use on a German car in which everything else is metric, so it’s easier to just stay in that measurement system. This particular part that I was attempting to cut (photos below) is a split nut ring and a center console panel that will hold some gauges, switches, and lights. I’ll show just the gauge panel for clarity; as you can see, the part in Fusion is roughly 235mm wide, or 9.25" and roughly the same height – in other words, well within the capacity of the DynaTorch table:

So, I saved a sketch with that (and the two split nut rings) into a DXF file and brought that into SheetCam, using this process:

1. Import a dxf file (svg also)
  2. C=choose contours
  3. Choose the inside lines to cut first: ctrl-click
  4. Move inside cuts to new layer (right-click the design)
  5. Select outside cuts
  6. Move to new layer
  7. Create new jet cutting op in bottom window
  8. Basic offset: inside offset; choose inside layer
  9. Change tool for appropriate material thickness
  10. Select reverse cut direction
  11. Select perpendicular cuts for lead ins & lead outs
  12. Lead in should be the same length as material thickness
  13. Lead out should be the same length as material thickness
  14. Can move the lead in locations to long flats by using the +S at top of screen
  15. Inside cuts need to be listed closest to top on the operations window
  16. Repeat for outside cuts on outside layer with outside contour
  17. Move lead out locations with the +S; cleanest cuts result from lead outs on a corner
  18. Use crosshair “nesting” icon to move the piece onto the material/table; the table is the red rectangle
  19. Implement post-processing (P icon is post processing;)
  20. Save resulting file .
  21. Click on job report and review details so you know all is good. Also shows job Time
  22. Close SheetCam.

When importing the dxf, I selected metric units since this design was designed in metric units – was this the error? I didn’t think so, because everything looked good at this point on the sheet and roughly the correct size, although the job report was showing that it would only take 2 seconds to run the job:

So then I attempted to swap to the DynaTorch part of the process, following this checklist:

1. Pull up on e-stop to connect to table
  2. Turn on exhaust, hypertherm torch box if not on already
  3. Open DynaTorch software & connect
  4. Zero out machine
  5. Make sure torch is off in software
  6. File< open your saved gcode (.tap)

And this is where I ran into the problem with the software telling me that "cut path extends beyond table’.

I tried implementing the solutions suggested in this thread (Dynatorch issue), but to no avail. I noticed that somehow the DynaTorch software was expecting that my roughly 12"x9" panel and nut rings were showing up as instead being 325"x238" – which is roughly the correct numerical value in mm for the height of the panel… No wonder it was extended beyond the table!

I kind of think this has a really simple answer that I just can’t figure out and I’m going to do a “I shoulda had a V8” thing after… Like do I need to design exclusively in inches (or change the measurement unit in Fusion to inches prior to saving a drawing as a DXF) and then just make sure that everything is in inches in the SheetCam and DynaTorch software all the way through the process?

Thanks for wading through this with me…

Pat

Hard to say without seeing in it in person

Sheetcam should be able to handle metric or SAE…
mayb here?
https://forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?t=8348

(at least, I don’t think you mentioned checking this option in the process noted above…)

You are correct that I did not specifically call that out in my narrative. Unfortunately, I did check that “metric” box on Sheetcam…

1 Like

To circle back in case anybody else finds this topic in the future, here is the solution:

I went into Fusion and switched the units in the design to inches instead of mm and then re-exported the DXF file. Then went though the same process as above and it worked fine. Cheers.

4 Likes

I wonder if that has something to do with fusion360 wanting to export dxf in cm

2 Likes

Boy, that’s a weird problem. But maybe?