DyeSub Training on Offer Soon?

Does anybody know when there’s going to be a class on using the sublimation machine? I’ve been a member now for three months have looked on all the boards and have asked and some of these top discussions on being taught since that’s the only way that you are able to get the credentials to use the machine. As I understand the need for a class on the equipment because it’s very expensive in easily to mess up. I do not understand paying for a membership and not being able to have hands on in any department that is offered.

You don’t have to hijack a thread, you can just start a thread in the dye sub section of talk. I am not certified to teach it, ir I’d show you.

@CaryF300 tends to hold those trainings, so he might chime in with a rough estimate of the next time he’ll be offering it…

1 Like
1 Like

Since you’re fairly new, you might like to know that you should probably camp on the calendar. This class is likely to fill shortly after it posts. Although Cary has listed an estimate, if someone expedites this it could hit the calendar sooner so keep your eyes peeled.

Hi everyone! New member here and I’d love to get signed off on the dye sublimation printer/ press. I received the calendar and did a quick search of the chats and didn’t see anything too recent. TIA!

Coming on 6/21. See related post.

Thank you! I’ll be out of town, so I’ll lookout for more. Unless it will be recorded

Would it be possible to come down and print something in the meantime? I’m trying to make Father’s Day shirts

It is a hands on class. If you can coordinate with someone who is already trained on it then they could print for you. The heat press does NOT require training to use.

Thanks, I’m new to the maker space. Who would I ask?.

I would suggest posting in the Creative Arts, Dye Sub category. Explain what you are trying to do, and what days and times you are available. Then if someone can accommodate you they can get in touch with you.

Dye Sub supplies for your project:

Shirts:
You’ll need to get dye sublimation shirts (you can find them at Michaels) get one extra of each size shirt just in case a mistake is made and you need a backup. (keep your receipt so you can return the extra shirts).

Art:
You’ll also need to pick out the art for the shirts. Images should be 2,000-3,000 pixels wide (or a .svg file) for the image to print out well. If you already have a photo or art, that’s a great!

Paper, printer, ink:
The space sells the special printer paper needed for dye sub. It’s $5 or $10 for 4 sheets of paper, depending on the size of the paper. We just charge enough to cover the cost of paper, ink, and machine maintenance.

Someone to help you print and heat press your shirts.
While it isn’t a lot, I have time tomorrow until 5pm, and Saturday after 3pm. This part will take 30min-1hr. If any of these work for you, let me know when we can meet at the space.

Thank you so much, Amelia! I have the paper and I am trying to find 100% poly shirts for the kids (I have the adult ones), but the closest I cant find in stock is 85% Polyester/10% Lyocell/5% Spandex - Would that work?

I can meet anytime tomorrow AM, what works best for you?

That should work fine, but I’d recommend using a slightly lower temperature than normal (like 380), and being prepared to use the first one as a tester, in case it doesn’t turn out perfect.

1 Like

Cary is the expert! So if he says your shirts are good, they’re good!
Remember we can’t print on black/dark shirts!

10am ok?

Correct. You need white shirts for best color results. The color of the shirt will alter the color of the decoration.

10 is perfect. I got some navy blue and lighter blue options. I had to go with what was in stock. I can skip my shirt, which is black. Thank you!

I will grab a couple of tumblers too. I appreciate all the help.

I cannot do tumblers tomorrow. that’s a whole different setup, the makerspace has some of it but I haven’t done one in years.

Dye Sub is transparent. It’s similar to drawing on a shirt with a marker. Just like a sharpie won’t show up well on a navy shirt, neither will a dye sub print