Drone building class

Also interested. Did any of these classes take place? Either way, what would it take to organize them?

I notice that the originator of this thread never came back into the discussion. While it looks like a boat-load of interest, I don’t think that anyone stepped forward to teach any of the proposed classes. That said – what you need is somebody that can teach any of these things and will put up some classes. The Aerospace/RC group is defunct so far as I know. Back in… um 2017… 2018? There were 2 guys around all the time, and they’d teach how to cut RC planes out of foamboard (or something like that) on the lasers. Haven’t seen either of them particularly recently. One of them has been around a couple of times since COVID, but I haven’t seen him really recently.

I fly model (r/c) planes, own a few drones (including one I built myself), some of which are still intact but I wouldn’t go so far as to say I can teach people to fly drones :blush:.

If someone was more capable, I’d be happy to help with the class.

I am an experienced pilot, and am certain I will pass the Part 107 Commercial Drone related exam. As soon as I do that, I can offer a class. The most challenging part I think is understanding the charts…the rest is operational knowledge which I think will be easy uptake for most. I have found some useful guides online, which I will give out the links to, outside and before the class…so the only folks taking that class would be those that would rather have a warm body helping to decipher/interpret and instill additional confidence toward taking the exam.

The other subjects are beyond me. I have learned the basics of using the programmable flight modes of the DJI Mavic series, that can be another class if there is interest. I’ll run a poll here in a week. I am trying to get my bearings right now, as a new member. Also, maybe take some time and let folks get to know me if they care to…so as to know what level of confidence I represent when putting out ideas and commitments here.

Looking forward to growing into the community here.

2 Likes

Rob,

I put out ideas for these few classes with the understanding I would have help offering a well organized series for members. Since suggesting the ideas, I lost support and couldn’t pull something together.

That being said, if someone can help me organize a comprehensive offering like what was suggested, I’m interested in working out a plan. Preferably for a racing drone building class which seemed to generate most interest and, frankly, is just a lot of fun :crazy_face:. Also would be willing to help those aspiring 107 pilots as I’m also an experienced private pilot. Either way, let me know what you think and maybe we can work through organizing something this month.

Best,

Skyler

Click on the Cog and then you can build a poll

I’m interested

Got a wild and crazy idea here —> Drone - RC SIG.
Get a group of interested folks together and form a Special Interest Group.
Include RC projects such as RC cars, etc.
Some long while back we had RC car races in the back parking lot -

Drone - RC SIG could find its home under the Electronics Committee.
Have a gathering and let me know what y’all want to do.

3 Likes

This would be awesome. I am part 107 licensed, I know a few contacts that are in the 3d mapping drone business as well!

2 Likes

Did ya’ll want to meet this weekend and organize this class offering with me?

I’m also free during the week after 5pm. Just let me know who is available to help and we’ll get a plan started!

Anyone interested in meeting Sunday before 3pm? I realize it’s short notice, but I’ll be up at the space (glass class at 3).

I’ll bring my DJI mini just for fun. (Not sure about flying - pretty sure we’re in controlled airspace at DMS).

I am down for helping with the classes. I am not FPV or RC enthusiast. But I have built 4-5 multicopters for my robotics side projects. I have experience with ArduPilot, programming, robotics and mapping(3D reconstruction).
I generally don’t touch DJI though.

I am new to this forum, how can we go about scheduling a meeting on this thread ?

Great - I will make myself available this weekend during these times for anyone who wants to help organize the class offering!

Saturday : 3pm-8pm
Sunday : 9am-1pm

Cell: 215-680-0395

Hi everyone,
@Skylerep and I talked on phone last week to discuss more about classes. Based on that, I have started a google doc for discussing and planning classes around various topics related to RC and UAVs.

If you can teach any topic listed in SCOPE section of the doc, please tag yourself in front of that bullet point. Feel free to add any missing topic, you would be interested in learning or teaching.

I have also prepared rough outline for two classes, feel free to edit or suggest anything.

Hey there! I’m new to the hobby and would LOVE a class if you guys are still doing this.

Specifically, I’ve started building my own 5" freestyle drone and I seem to have a short somewhere… The problem is that I dont have the basics of what “continuity” really even is or what a “short” means… lol I could really use some knowledge on basic troubleshooting and understanding the work flow to figuring these things out. I’ve got my own drone to work on, please let me know if i’m asking in the right place.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

You’re in the right place! My schedule is open on evening workdays and the next few weekends. I would be more than happy to give some explanation!

2 Likes

I’d also like to ask for some pointers on gear and where to buy since I’m hoping to build something in the 6in class with some range and simple video feed capabilities

1 Like

What is a good day for you to meet?

What is your schedule this week?

I would love to tag along with this. My schedule is completely open. I’m interested in using racing drones for filming.