Does Auto have torque wrenches? and Recommend good Snap Ring Pliers?(UPDATE)

@Team_Automotive Are there any 1/2” torque wrenches in Auto? At least to 150?

Also, I think I heard there may be a bearing splitter too?

Thanks.

1 Like

Zach has it right… you may not want to trust them. They are typically left set instead of returned to zero so they may no longer be very precise.

1 Like

And yes, there (was) a bearing splitter.

1 Like

PS should be using bolt-stretch gauge instead of torque wrench anyway…

( :wink: )

1 Like

Lol … i think I’ll just buy one now that I think about it.

Haha … and they are so affordable😉

1 Like

At least shipping’ll be free…

1 Like

Yep that pic was what I need… I think he was using it upside down?? Or I have always used them upside down.:nerd_face:

1 Like

If the Torque wrenches are likely inaccurate, do they really serve any purpose? Doesn’t an inaccurate precision tool present hazards to members that use it?

@TLAR

1 Like

Agreed. It it could get approval from the Automotive chair, or whoever’s approval is necessary to take a tool off premises, I would volunteer to take them to work one day and put them on the tester.

6 Likes

I don’t think so, but to be honest, I may simply never have been taught better.
My general opinion on that type of tool is “whatever it takes to get the job done and keep everything intact which needs to be reused”.
Logic dictates that the object being held stationary should have the largest flats in contact, making your argument solid that it’s upside down. However, experience says that the way it’s being used is likely the only way to fit it into that scenario, and I’ve never seen the tool damaged when used this way, so I’d say “that looks about right”.
:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

So what you are saying is we are both rght! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes.
Thank you, Schrodinger, for making this possible. :trophy:

1 Like

Here we go:

1 Like

Yes to inaccurately get the same results each time.

Years ago we showed a guy how to wire some sensors. There were like 24 or so. He got every one wrong but one, so he was mostly consistent. As to the right one he did, obviously he was wrong in the way he did it.

2 Likes

New request. I need decent quality snap ring pliers. Tried the channel lock ones but the tips broke and really just ended up pissing me off.

Does anybody have a type they like that doesn’t bust the budget? Currently I need an internal one. This is for a big 3” or so snap ring from a wheel knuckle. The biggest one I’ve ever had to remove and replace.

Don’t know what Auto has on site, but personally, I’ve got a set of 3 of these that came as part of a group-buy, so I have no idea what sizes they really are:

I always through they were shitty, but they work well, have never broken, and generally impressed me, despite initial impressions…

1 Like

I have a craftsman set. (Probably 30-40 years old) They have been good to me. The last time I looked at the space for some, we didn’t have any good ones.

2 Likes

If it isn’t accurate over a range when tested, set it at a specif common value used. Identify what the torque is and lock it down. Example: if lugs are typically torqued to XX then set it at that and have it as pre-set wrench. That preserves the some useful value of tool.

Would suggest we get a torque load cell such as this. Then we can periodically check and calibrate our tools - calibration intervals, say quarterly. If this is desired, I’ll volunteer to do it and machine shop can store it. machine shop will be getting some tools calibrated in the future.

Will also be useful in training how to use a torque wrench properly by being able demonstrate various factors that affect torquing technique.

2 Likes

There are few if any realistic health or safety issues regarding the torque wrenches and their traditional use at the Space in this dept.

As Tim above points out - the torque wrenches at the Space are sub standard. If a member needs “precision” then that person needs to supply their own calibrated to spec torque measuring device.

1 Like