Do We NEED a LEGO Committee?

I’ve always been a fan of LEGO, and even worked in LEGO retail for a short time before moving down to TX. Lets get a LEGO group going!

[quote=“Edenblue, post:10, topic:73481”]
Send it to creative arts @jrkriehn , I hear they like SIGs.

stinkeye-cat

But on a more serious note, when we devote so much effort to yapping about “building community”, why couldn’t we have a “Community” committee that serves as an umbrella for SIGs like a potential LEGO group, the existing Board Game group, the Toastmaster group that @dougemes has championed, etc.?

3 Likes

@amiedd tagging if she ever gets on talk.

Isn’t that what member services was created for?

1 Like

To oversee some SIGs that don’t “make” anything but friends and better people?

I’m thinking it was intended to have a “go to” for members (old or new) with specific membership questions or issues. Rather than having them get directed/redirected through a mass of different people before getting to the answer.

1 Like

Ya simply glue the models together as you build for permanent display of the big set pieces. No chilluns meddling or breaking things if it’s glued!

1 Like

The kragle!!!

5 Likes

Doesn’t mean parents don’t see Legos and think “drop off point”

2 Likes

We get this with popsicle sticks and paint in CA.

2 Likes

Sorry missed your reply earlier. No, not specifically to house orphanage SIGs, but to help build community within the space.

As an engineer and scientist I must protest this gross error in orders of magnitude! There are approximately 1e21 stars in the observable universe whereas the Lego Death Star has only 4e3 pieces.

Then again, what’s 17 orders of magnitude among friends? :joy:

3 Likes

Lego robots, you can print your lego pieces, they are just ABS

1 Like

4e3 pieces

That’s in the box. Spread 'em out on a hardwood floor and turn off the lights. Now walk barefoot. Suddenly there are billions more Legos. It’s magic!

5 Likes

Yes! Every Makerspace needs a Lego committee, especially to make stuff like this:

We could plan a trip to LegoLand California, where these photos were taken.

P.S. I took these photos, so if you want any to hang on the walls, let me know.

1 Like

Here ya go:

1 Like

That’s no moon…

2 Likes

+1 for a LEGO SIG/Committee!

1 Like

How is this even a question. Just yes.

2 Likes

I would be willing to host a Lego SIG under 3D fab since we have this much interest. We can probably dedicate a cabinet next to the Tabletop SIG. I am concerned with showing off (maybe one small shelf in the glass case) and sharing lego pieces during covid, proper sanitation rules apply. Don’t leave lego pieces on the table and definitely not on the floor.

I think we have to verify the conditions for creating a SIG but I’m definitely for this and would put this for a vote on the next 3D fab meeting.

My personal lego collections now are really expensive but I might have a lead on some assorted pieces to donate.

7 Likes

From the Wiki:

There are no formal rules established around SIGs, thus the following is the Secretary’s interpretation of the present standing rules established by the Board of Directors as it pertains to the membership, Committees, and Groups.

Interest Groups (aka SIGs or Special Interest Groups) are formed by members to provide a structure around a common interest for the purpose of a project, discussion, solving a problem, performing an activity, or any other reason that members would like to organize into a DMS organization other than a Committee or Group.

Historically, SIGs have performed the following functions:

• Completed projects
  • Expanded the focus of the sponsoring Committee or Group (“sponsor”)
  • Emerged from their sponsor as new committees or groups

Looks to me like if 3D Fab is willing to sponsor the SIG then all it takes is a few interested members. Maybe we could talk to someone like Bricks & Minifigs about donating some LEGO™ for our use.

1 Like