Do We NEED a LEGO Committee?

I second Lego committee. We can petition the board for funds to buy and build one of the massive sets, then display it somewhere in the building. Like the Death Star, or Millenium Falcon. Or both! Hehe.

10 Likes

If onnnlllyyyyy we had a member who would be a perfect option for chair… lol

2 Likes

Can we change committee to museum. It would make us seem more legitimate and not like we are just hoarding our lego collection in a corner.

2 Likes

Says the 3D Fab Vice-Char who, instead, could petition the board for different color filament to print the blocks to make the Death Star, etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel like going fully sanctioned / officially sponsored by LEGO would be much cooler, despite print your own being hacker/makery.
Like @apparently_weird said, we’ve got a member who aside from being the perfect chair, is uniquely positioned to ask about some kind of sponsorship if we actually formed a committee.

3 Likes

I know that this was probably brought up as a joke by @Edenblue, and yes it would be nice to just go and “build something” while waiting for whatever tool/area to be available. It could also be a visually spectacular area. LEGO has quite a bit of early robotics that would be a great stepping stone into larger scale stuff possible around the Space. If this was to actually move forward though, I would caution it would be seen by at least some as the children drop off area while parents are working on projects.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it needs to be a committee but it would be really cool to get one of those big kits and set it up on a table. A fun group project while waiting for a printer/laser/auto bay/etc.

Plus, I think deep down we’ve all wanted to build one of those massive lego star destroyer kits.

Edit: We actually had a Lego table at my space in college, now that I think about it. It was really great, people would stop by and build something to blow off stress. Others would add on/repair/etc. It was just a small table off in a nook with a border to hold the Lego and a couple pounds of misc old lego.

Unstructured Lego will work better the more I think of it. it’s cheap and low maintenance.

4 Likes

Well you know what, Lego committee could help solve some aggression. As a punishment, you shall be made to walk barefoot through a pile of legos.

10 Likes

Not sure it really needs to be a committee, but perhaps a creative SIG. Have the kits available, but not necessarily something that needs dedicated tables.

Too true

1 Like

Send it to creative arts @jrkriehn , I hear they like SIGs. :rofl:
Honestly, I think it would be awesome as sig or committee.

1 Like

LEGO doggo at Dallas Makerspace

We could prolly do these pixel pics fairly easy too? Love LEGOs :green_heart:

2 Likes

I got really into Lego GBC during quarantine. I’m 100% for a Lego SIG!

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I believe I had arranged for direct wholesale purchasing rights from Lego since, at one time, I thought I’d be reselling Lego heads:

4 Likes

2 Likes

There are more pieces in a Lego Death Star than there are stars in the universe.

See Also (back orders accepted) https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/imperial-star-destroyer-75252

1 Like

I would hope completing that would put Digital Media into “action” shooting a mini movie.

2 Likes

One of our members was on Lego Masters. I can see them as a potential leader for this.

2 Likes

Legomaster AmieDD led lamp build at Dallas MakerSpace

Amie is a kickass published maker, well before legomasters too.

*Suggested title edit. Does Dallas Makerspace need a LEGO committee?

She is who @LAndras and I were mentioning above, but weren’t calling her out directly.

1 Like

Could also do some awesome stop-motion Brick Films if those are still a thing…