DMS OPEN (aka storm damage closure)

Hmm. Unless someone can confirm cooling for the two server closets can safely be restored, a lot of the IT systems probably shouldn’t be up.

2 Likes

Unless those units can be repaired, HVAC systems are 6 months backordered. (Source: HVACR Videos and HVAC guys I had service my systems.)

1 Like

The one for 104 looks ok by looking at the pictures. Can’t speak for the 102

1 Like

Is it safe to come in and pick up materials that need to be kept at regulated temperatures? If I understand correctly, power is on right now but not HVAC. Do the doors work or no?

1 Like

We took care of it. They are fine for now.
Plus all of the servers and switches are rated to be running in way hotter of an environment than it is/was, and theoretically should completely shut off before the reach any actually dangerous point.

As an update, all of the servers and server related services should be back online. That includes the jump boxes and AD/auth stuff and whatnot. Last I saw, some AC/cooling systems are working - but that’s something Justin or Julie would probably be better confirming.

3 Likes

Yes! Update:

Power is restored. For HVAC, 1 unit on the 102 side and 3 on the 104 side are down. We’ve restored a good amount of capability, though interactive was noticably warm.

Unfortunately, this has impacted our fire system and taken down about half of our sensors, wall pulls, etc. Taking advice from those that know more about it than I do, we’re going to get someone in to look at the system before we allow general occupation of the building. No need to antagonize our local fire marshal more than we do already :slight_smile:

IT systems are up. A lot of cleanup was done already by our infra volunteers and officers (much appreciated!).

The water damage was not as bad as feared, though lecture hall took the brunt. I believe the new slab router table got hit with some water too.

Thank you so much for your patience and suggestions as we work through this. We should have another update for you tomorrow.

Justin

13 Likes

I assume it is safe to say that any classes that were scheduled tomorrow and through the weekend are probably going to be rescheduled and refunds issued?

1 Like

Would I be allowed to pick up some items up to take home? 𝗦𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗹𝘆 to pick up my things and not use the space.

1 Like

Please let me know when you need hands to help with anything! I’m about 40 min away from DMS and can drive up to help outside of working hours!

2 Likes

I assume someone is already on it but I would be interested in helping out. In construction they use plywood and self tapper screws to cover the holes while they wait to install the AC units.

It’s possible to huff some plywood up there if it’s 1/4" and we get a long enough extension ladder

1 Like

I am also interested in this as I have 2 classes I am teaching. If I need to cancel and notify my students, the sooner the better.

Thanks to everyone who’s been working up there to get the space back up and running!

2 Likes

Do we know roughly how long the power was out?

1 Like

Based on the camera outages, roughly 12-14 hours.

2 Likes

I am also available to help with anything just let me know.

1 Like

That really sucks

1 Like

The refrigerator in galley will likely need some attention. Maybe Ice maker, too, and any other refrigeter-type appliances around (Science Committee?). :–(

2 Likes

I am hardly " in the loop", but my first notice power was out came approximately 04:30 with my first restoration notice coming about 20:15. That’s…15 ¾ hours, I think…

Yeah. And the power off is pretty good idea of when these ceased to be operational, but power on doesn’t necessarily mean anything since (best practice) breakers were cut, etc. etc. etc. so…evaluation will be forthcoming, surely, and yeah, might mean some attention will be needed.

So we definitely won’t be open today? I am just trying to cancel my classes scheduled for today and this weekend in a timely manner… Sorry, I know you guys are working hard on this and I don’t want to bug. :confused:

1 Like

Thanks folks!

WE’RE OPEN.

Thanks to @Julie-Harris for working with the fire alarm folks, they’ll be out in the next few days to repair the severed lines.

Also thanks to @dougbcave, @Evan_Lott, @jphelps, @jsnowfreedman, Allen, @rlisbona, @kthompson395, @Julie-Harris and @Bizwacky (and others I am probalby forgetting) for working together during this. Josh, Allen, and Kevin responded to the gas leak and got the fire department and atmos involved. Doug Cave was excellent in assessing the damage and working with our contractors. Everyone pitched in to do initial cleanup and water remediation. Please let me know if I missed anyone.

IF YOU SEE A LEAK
We may still have some small holes in the roof. If you see a leak:
FIRST - Get a bucket, get it contained
THEN - Notify us here.

IF YOU SEE ANY OTHER ISSUES
Please report them here or email me directly - [email protected]

We will have contractors in and out, and will have some work days coming up to repair ceiling tiles, etc.

@mblatz - Fridge in the galley has already been cleaned out. It was overdue anyway.

26 Likes

Please report issues in the follow-on thread.

2 Likes