DMS OPEN (aka storm damage closure)

I see that someone already posted notice on the outward facing website. Good thinking!

3 Likes

My office is about 1-1/2 miles south of DMS. So far it does not appear that we suffered any major damage from this storm but did get some footage from the security cameras. Lots of flashes like power lines arcing and transformers blowing over near Valwood. There was a low hanging dark cloud over the DMS area during the most intense parts of the storm.

Almost three years ago on June 9th, 2019 we had near identical damage with rooftop HVAC package units tipped over and lots of wind damage to our brand new roof and HVAC units.

I am about to climb onto our rooftop and inspect all 26 of our units. Several sit on tall curb adapters like those topped at DMS.

Below are two photos during some of the major power flashes around 4:31am from our north facing cameras looking in the general direction of DMS. We lost power briefly several times and had lots of voltage and phase issues. Thankfully the generator and UPS kept the studios and data center running. When I stopped to grab breakfast at McDonald’s this morning at Valwood and 35 they were working on restoring the traffic lights around 10am. Saw several trees down between Valwood and Valley View.

5 Likes

Ahhhhh! Say it’s not so!
We will build back better for sure

6 Likes

What areas and machines are having water dropped on them?
@IanLee @Andy @pjolone1

1 Like

Is there anything laser needs to do in this regard do you think? I imagine not since all the machines are painted but I want to verify

1 Like

I don’t believe so, but not even armchair conversant on laser maintenance. Mainly exposed steel/iron surfaces that heavier tools in wood shop as they do not tend to have oil on working surfaces.

Metal working tools tend to have residual oil left over on their surfaces after cleaning the chips away.

1 Like

That is the great thing about DMS. We ALWAYS come back stronger :smiley:

5 Likes

The ball screws that raise/lower the bed in the thunders are able to rust (donner has/had a very rusty screw in the back left corner for a while) but otherwise they’re fine. They stay coated in grease, so I doubt it will be an issue.

1 Like

Might be worth buying or renting some dehumidifiers for the short term. I’m happy to transport them and set them up if that’s something DMS wants to do.

6 Likes

From the topic of gas leaks, I don’t think we have any uses of gas, other than maybe some of the water heaters, and the RTUs, some of which are tipped over. I strongly suspect that the tipped over RTUs tore their natural gas lines. Getting the disconnect valves shut, or maybe capping the lines is probably all that is needed, but it will still likely require a plumber’s tag to get the utility back on.

2 Likes

To update everyone.

Yes, gas is turned off and locked out by Atmos. Electrics are off as well to all units.

We’ve had them inspected, and we have a plan in place, and are getting the landlord looped in to that plan. The units appear to be in good enough order to repair in-situ, we just need to get a crane secured to re-fit them. The contractor will be securing the roof for us.

Power is still out, with an estimated restore time of 5:30PM. Once it is restored and we have the roof secured, we will re-open the building. Be aware the there will be areas that will be hot during the day. We’ll get some fans to try to get some circulation through the building.

Thank you to everyone that has helped out, and I’ll be in touch with more updates and calls for assistance if needed.

22 Likes

Does this mean we’ll be full operations as normal starting once the power comes back in, or are some/all of the tools going to remain down until the HVAC is back?

2 Likes

Thanks to the Board, officers and others dealing with this unexpected storm damage! Please let the rest of us know what cleanup we can do when the time is right. Thanks again!

5 Likes

The ETA for power got pushed back to 7:30 now.
I cannot speak for the officers / board, but I believe it’ll be a fair bit after that before we think about getting the place fully up and running again, cuz we’ll need to get the RFIDs working and the cameras and all the circuits and clean up a bunch of the dropped panels and stuff.

2 Likes

If the breakers for the over turned RTU’s haven’t been locked out yet, they need to be locked out before the power is turned back on. You can see in the pictures some of the 208 pulled out of the conduit.

5 Likes

Has anyone been inside and taken pictures of the leaks and what the water is leaking on?

1 Like

With as much diligent work as people have already done, I’m sure someone has looked at the leaks - at least to the best they can without any power in the building.

Typically the leaks are worst around the RTUs, especially if they have been blown off their pads. RTUs are the red boxes in this sketch.

Disclaimer: This is an old version of a future state drawing so ignore all the details except the RTU locations.

EDIT: There is one new 15T AC in the middle of the north suite workshop (formerly known as 102) that isn’t shown on the diagram.

7 Likes

Yes, I’ve shut off all the RTU circuit breakers

8 Likes

FWIW, I was just able to log in to Jump Server, so that service is back up and available.

4 Likes

Hmm. Unless someone can confirm cooling for the two server closets can safely be restored, a lot of the IT systems probably shouldn’t be up.

2 Likes