DMS OPEN (aka storm damage closure)

Due to storm damage, DMS is currently closed.

As a treat, here’s what the roof currently looks like

@Team_Moderators please pin

15 Likes

That’s some hellacious winds that caused that. Explains why the FD showed up. Duct Smoke alarms must have gone to trouble.

3 Likes

Given a lot of supply chain shortages (i suspect local supplies will be wiped out pretty fast), how there will be widespread demand for service personnel, what would be your SWAG on repair times?

1 Like

Please report to NWS when you have a moment.

https://www.weather.gov/fwd/submitlsr

There might be others in the area like from a small tornado. Reporting helps with the bigger picture. Someone from DMS (that has seen the damage first hand) should do this so they don’t get a bunch of duplicates.

6 Likes

I talked to my project guy about lead times yesterday. New equipment on our end small tonnage wise is months. Our small equipment is made in Norman, Ok so it’s not like the equipment itself is being shipped from overseas. The larger equipment I work on is 32 weeks out.

Let’s hope that we can just right the equipment & re-use. Also hope the duct work doesn’t have to be demoed due to water damage.

9 Likes

Due to strong thunderstorms this morning, all power is currently off at DMS with an ETA of power being brought back on at around 8:30 AM.

Further, there are some pretty heavy water leaks in a few locations, causing ceiling tile damage and water hitting a couple of machines. This also seems to have knocked a gas line loose, so fire dept. came out and shut off the gas line. We do not know yet, if when power is brought back to the building, the state of the circuits, or anything else.

-edit 1: as mentioned in comment, with the power fully down and all backup systems offline - there is no internet, no door systems, no cameras, etc. I’ll be walking around the building for a while keeping an eye on things.

-edit 2: someone with permissions/authority needs to call the gas company to have them out and reinspect and turn back on at some point. Somebody of authority who actually has information, needs to call the fire department (message me for the number if needed) and needs to get them the landlord’s contact information if we have it. Further apparently the emergency fire keys for the doors are not containing keys that actually work for the building.

-edit 3: Atmos energy has been out to check the gas readings. At this point Atoms has shut out and locked out the gas lines to both units. We will need to get a plumber in or whatever the case may be to figure out where the leak actually is and plug it / fix it / whatever.

I’ll update this thread as more info occurs.

@skyspook @Julie-Harris @Evan_Lott (Not sure who else to ping here)

(For those that know, my cell was posted in infra, feel free to call or text me for any info)

–Joshua

14 Likes

FWIW, when the building power is out, the cameras page shows no feed.

1 Like

removed broke stuff
Thank you & Kevin for being on this!

2 Likes

Thank you all for your amazing work handling this emergency!

8 Likes

Thanks for keeping us all informed and glad no one was hurt.

1 Like

Is there anything I can do to help? Anything need moving or cleaning up?

8 Likes

Not yet. We have contractors coming out to review the damage. I will post when it’s safe and we have need for volunteers.

7 Likes

Holy cow I was just on the roof yesterday afternoon with a contractor to get a quote for installing the fume hood fan. Clouds looked kinda dark but I was actually enjoying the nice cool breeze at that time! Thanks Kevin and all those who noticed the gas leak and saved the building from exploding.

3 Likes

I assume the property manager has been notified … clearly A/C repair of this type will be their responsibility and they will want to use their own contractor.

1 Like

The Landlord’s insurance carrier will also need to be involved - which is also another reason to ensure their involvement. Very short terms actions like covering openings can be done with the expectation of reimbursement as you are preventing further damage.

This is likely to be a mess - shortages of material and labor for those that don’t get there first are sure to happen.

3 Likes

Yes, we’ve already begun those phone calls. Building manager is aware

6 Likes

At this point it’s pretty much damage control. More bad weather expected soon. Seal rooftop ducts w/ plywood, tarps, etc. Tarps over equipment where needed. RTU breakers off. Probably be a good idea to turn off breakers to all srvrs and network gear. When pwr comes back on, it will be noisy and glitchy before becoming stable. If it’s not needed turn breakers off.

Seems obvious. Obvious goes away when stuff like this happens.

4 Likes

Most of that is taken care of. There is roof damage, and we won’t send volunteers up when it may be unsafe. We will seal the holes when we are able.

2 Likes

Because A/C will be off and humidity will rise, probably a good idea to put Boelube* or other protective coating machine tools that have bare metal exposed to prevent rust and pitting. I suspect that we will be down weeks not days.

• Boelube is probably preferable for Wood Shop since it goes on super thin, easily wiped off and tends not to stain wood. Machine/Metal shop, any oil work - except don’t do welding tables.
6 Likes