DMS Expansion Update – 08/21/2019

Show up to one of the meetings and you won’t be so off base with your assumptions.

1 Like

Expansion bought a new sink that was in a box in 102. (I bought it) It was intended as the general use sink in the warehouse. Unless there are two sinks in the 102 warehouse, the one that’s out there is the one purchased by Expansion.

FWIW, the sink I bought has the largest basins available for a two-basin sink. They are roughly 30" wide each.

If that’s not large enough, there is a single compartment sink available from the manufacturer that has a 36" wide basin x 24" wide x 14" deep.

There’s another one, and it’s not an HSF / commercial one. Someone in printmaking apparently bought a pet bath / large sink link of thing and it was found in the DMS storage during clean out.

1 Like

The one in 102 is the one that was purchased for the 102 warehouse specifically.

The one that had been purchased for printmaking (and remains in storage) can’t be used. It was not anticipated that there would be people dumping resin detritus into that sink. But they are. As i understand it, resin chems degrade PVC. Which is what the sink was made of. So I was told by Astrud and Paul that expansion was going to seek out an appropriate non-pvc replacement. (What is needed is a large single bowl sink rather than the double sink, so that large silk screens can fit inside for cleaning.)

That said, I find myself wondering about the pvc drainage pipes.

I was the one that told astrud I would help seek out a non pvc sink. I strongly believe that only stainless sinks should be installed in these areas.

1 Like

The sink Printmaking bought is sitting on top of the sink Expansion bought… so yes, two sinks.

1 Like

Yes, we originally purchased the PVC utility sink (and yes it is sitting in the warehouse).

A: there was a layout change requiring a move and size change in the flex area sink due to reworking the bathroom door into the flex area instead of the wet classroom.

B: After seeing how quickly membership has abused the metal sink in the flex area (dumping of resins/glues/paints, poor cleaning after use requiring heavy scraping/scrubbing, etc) it was determined that a plastic sink would not be a useable choice due to massively accelerated wear and tear.

On another topic/query, where are the small personal storage bins being relocated to this time?

Art offered some suggestions in this post

Paging @Team_Logistics
Time to get this done.

This might be a starting point.

41" diagonal.

$223 plus shipping.

There is one with a 36" x 24" bowl, but it’s $1600.

3 Likes

Speaking solely for myself in no official capacity, I like this one…

3 Likes

Does this meet the width requirements for screens?

In my earlier research, I found that there are restaurant-certified sinks - which this is not. The restaurant grade sinks are far more expensive. For washing screens I can’t imagine why we’d need a restaurant-certified sink.

Superfluousextraunneededcharacters

Maybe you can help educate the ignorant, you are implying that things like we should build a dedicated sound booth for digital media were carefully considered with the expected cost of buildout and potential draw of new members joining for that resource and it was determined that is a good investment of DMS resources?

And there is a budget and plan on how we can achieve all of the 35 potential construction contracts listed within our available funds while our revenue continues to decline every month? I certainly hope so and all of that planning and information is just top secret.

The main reason why there are so many potential construction contracts is so that the Board of Directors can analyze, discuss, and accept or reject them as they see fit. The original Expansion Plan was too large and too expensive. The Board of Directors insisted that the Expansion Group divide up the construction into smaller pieces. That is precisely what we are doing.

We plan to get multiple quotes for Digital Media’s Sound Booth, a regular wall structure, walls with sound deadening materials, and possibly a used professional sound booth if one can be found. The final decision will be up to the Board.

Nothing Top Secret going on here. The Expansion Group meets every Tuesday evening at 7 PM in the Warehouse area. Visitors are welcomed to attend.

Show up to an expansion meeting, it will educate you out of your assumptions.

Wow! How the hell did you read all of that into my post?

Just show up to the meetings and listen… then you will be able to talk about expansion without making embarrassing assumptions…

I don’t think breaking it into pieces will make it less expensive overall.

IMO the original plan was a bad idea, (asking for wish list of every group if they had more space and unlimited funds and then trying to build it). Breaking the original bad plan (current floorplan has been modified, but it still implements the same approach and committee footprints) into small pieces with the intention of just dropping out pieces to save money means construction will just stop when we run out of money and there is no telling what state things will be in when we hit that point.

The original expansion group got input from each area, then balanced the information to come up with a floor plan that would benefit the space the best way as a whole.

1 Like