Moving Personal Storage Bins to

The BoD has approved the moving of the Personal Bin Storage “cave”. (Between Science and ELab)
Some members have complained that their bin is at one end of the DMS complex and their worki/making is at the opposite end of the the complex.
This is an informal survey - Where would you like your bin to be located?
In what area of the DMS complex do you do most of your work?

I know this might sound crazy, but how about smack dab middle of the building?

When we punch a hole through current woodshop into the 102 warehouse, what about in that area?

Right now we have to deal w/ what’s currently available.
This might include putting them temporarily where rental bins will eventually go.

2 Likes

Wherever, a 2 minute walk isn’t an issue for me.

6 Likes

I think the main problem is we don’t have the walls penetrated between the two buildings. If I’m in the machine shop, I’ve got to walk all the way to the old common area to get over to the new side, whereas there should be a penetration next to the metal shop which would greatly shorten the commute.

What’s the timeline on the new penetrations?

I have the same sentiment as @Webdevel. Doesn’t matter where they are, they will almost never be where I’m working at.

6 Likes

There has been some discussion on having the bins located in committee areas - w/ committee approval.
I’ll toss this out to all of the Chairs / Committees for discussion.

Wherever they end up, if they’re in multiple locations can there be a list of which went to what area? It doesn’t have to literally be exact spot (and that would be an exercise in frustration) but just which of the locations would make life easier.

I don’t care where mine ends up, but I’d rather not search 2-3 different areas for it unless I absolutely have to.

If there’s only 1 spot left over by woodshop I will arm wrestle you for it.

2 Likes

That’d be a no from me dawg. We have limited space in Ca and the bins wouldn’t be welcome in the middle of the floor.

2 Likes

With multiple locations it could be like high school all over again. Where’s your locker?

5 Likes

Wherever they end up, could we label the shelves in a grid format? Columns A, B, C, Rows, 1,2, 3 and so on? I know bins don’t have assigned spots but man I would love to say. My bin was at G-7 on Friday when directing someone to it.

4 Likes

Anywhere is fine with me: I could use the exercise.

Please let us know where they will end up - I would prefer to avoid a scavenger hunt to find the new location.

2 Likes

That, and smaller more manageable more useful racks. Like ones that can double as table legs or cubby-holes.

But, I’m with the “bit of a walk is OK” crowd.

I’d like to see more of this. Not dedicated areas but using the books and crannies of existing spots to make this more feasible in the near future and efficient.

Best I can tell the units were built w/ 3 columns. Don’t have a row count on the tall units. Some will stay in 102. The tall units will need to be kept away from the sprinkler heads.

1 Like

Here’s some ideas

2 Likes

Temporary places - interesting possibilities.
Would need to locate near door in order to minimize disturbance to classes taking place.

1 Like

Mine is in the batch next to the E-Lab. I spend a lot of time in the E-lab. I’m good.

2 Likes

May I suggest you discuss this personal storage option with your Committee members at your next monthly meeting. I am not just picking on Creative Arts but I address this to all Committees. Having some personal storage in the area that your fellow committee members primarily work in is what people in general are always complaining about. Yes, with this option Creative Arts would have to give up about 10 square feet of their floor space out of the 1,380 square feet you already have is not a bad trade-off to help your fellow committee members.

2 Likes