DMS Expansion Update – 08/21/2019

The DMS Expansion Group had their weekly meeting on Tuesday evening, 08/20 at 7 PM. The Group meets every Tuesday evening at 7 PM in the Warehouse area. Visitors are welcomed to join in, this is not a closed meeting. The Expansion Group is a technical advisory panel that reports directly to the Board of Directors. All construction contracts are delivered to the Board of Directors with technical guidance. It is the Board of Directors that approves all construction contracts.

Expansion Group Members are:

1. Richard Meyer (Lead) - Present
  2. James Henningson
  3. David Ratcliff
  4. Patrick Thompson - Present
  5. Stan Simmons - Present
  6. Freddy Calvert - Present
  7. Art Givens - Present
  8. Bill Gee
  9. Michael Bayern
  10. Charles Proctor
  11. Robert Davidson - Present
  12. Adam Oas

Visitors:

1. Chuck Graff - Present
  2. Erik Smith - Present
  3. Tim Black - Present
  4. Amelia Young - Present

Volunteer opportunities, small tasks

1. Relocate personal storage bins located between Science and Electronics Labs – Logistics.
  2. Repair the carpeting underneath the Water Fountain.
  3. Add ceiling support wires for electrical outlets in Flex Area.
  4. Tape off the Committee Areas in the warehouse area.
  5. Trip Hazard – Vinyl flooring in new 3D Fab area, complete the installation.
  6. Trip Hazard – Vinyl flooring at entrance to Interactive Classroom, complete the installation.
  7. Trip Hazard – Vinyl flooring at Creative Arts entrance, interface plate is loose on the floor.
  8. Painting – Miscellaneous small paining jobs – See Patrick Thompson.
  9. Install cable trays above Machine Shop area – Waiting on parts.

Current Outstanding Construction Contracts:

1. Fire Alarm Security System – Completed, waiting on City Inspection by the Fire Marshall.
  2. Outside Security Camera Installation – Work started on 8/21.
  3. Electronic Latch for the Emergency Fire Exit by Electronics Lab – Waiting on parts.
  4. Push Bar Alarm for the Emergency Fire Exit by Creative Arts – Waiting on parts.
  5. Emergency Fire Exit signage – In process, Chris Marlowe volunteered, to be completed by 8/26.

Pending Construction Contracts:

1. Installation of protection covers for Fire Sprinkler heads – Quote in process.
  2. Replacement of Men’s Restroom stall walls and doors – Quote in process.
  3. Repair concrete at Main Lobby entrance for ADA compliance – Quote in process.
  4. Installation of roof top ventilation system for Science – Quote in process.
  5. Install Mini-Split A/C systems for both Server Rooms – Quote in process.
  6. Automatic door openers for Front Lobby for ADA compliance – Pending donation of parts.

Future Electrical Construction Contracts:

1. Upgrade Main Distribution Panel in 102, adding more electrical circuits.
  2. Add new electrical panel and connect all outlets and drop cords in the Flex Area.
  3. Add new electrical panel and connect all outlets in Ceramics, Jewelry, and Glass Kiln areas.
  4. Add new electrical panel and connect all outlets and drop cords in the Machine Shop area.
  5. Install new 75 kVA 480 Volt transformer for Welding.
  6. Add new electrical panel and connect all drop cords in the Blacksmith and Automotive areas.
  7. Add new electrical panel and connect all drop cords in the new Woodshop area.
  8. Add new electrical panel and connect all drop cords in the new Laser area.
  9. Add new electrical panel and connect all drop cords in the Metal Shop aea.

Future Plumbing Construction Contracts:

1. Remove/Install new Hot Water Heater in the Wet Classroom.
  2. Remove double sink in the Flex area, move to Wet Classroom.
  3. Install new sink in the Flex area for Printmaking.
  4. Install sewer sump pumps and hot/cold water lines for Warehouse and Science areas. Install new sink in Warehouse area.

Future HVAC Construction Contracts:

1. Ventilation system for Ceramics/Fired/Arts/Glassmaking areas.
  2. Ventilation system for Blacksmith Room.
  3. Ventilation system for Automotive area – Pending Fire Marshall approval.

Future Mechanical Construction Contracts:

1. Relocate Men’s Restroom door from Wet Classroom to Flex Area.
  2. New Construction – Closet around new Hot Water Heater in Wet Classroom.
  3. New construction – Walls around Digital Media’s Audio Room.
  4. New Construction – Walls around Blacksmith Room.
  5. New Construction – Walls around Electrical Room.
  6. Remount door to current woodshop (New Laser area) to swing out vrs. in.
  7. New Construction – Walls and door for new hallway through old Creative Arts Room.
  8. New Construction – Walls and doors for the new Woodshop area.
  9. Add fire exit door to the Metal Shop.
  10. Remount door to current woodshop (New Laser area) to swing out vrs. in.
  11. Remount door to current woodshop (New Laser area) to swing out vrs. in.
  12. Remount door to Interactive Classroom to swing out vrs. in.
  13. Install new door openings between the two Suites 102 and 104.

As anyone can see, the Expansion Group is very busy. Any assistance from DMS members would be appreciated. Please contact @richmeyer.

7 Likes

We had extra flooring that we told expansion they could use for under the fountain.

Whats the difference in the sink being removed that is next to printmaking vs the one to be installed next to printmaking?

Printmaking wanted their own special sink to handle their inks, they have already purchased it with their own funds. I have not seen the sink, it is still in it’s box in the warehouse

And Printmaking would need to approve the new sink because we have specific requirements that it needs to support for the regular uses we have for it.

@richmeyer what’s with the quote for the minisplit system for the server rooms? My understanding was we were installing that one ourselves with help from @TBJK

(at least last I heard in an infra meeting)

We are getting quotes for both a commercial and DYI installation. We let the Board of Directors decide.

Just a general feeling / complaint that may be off topic, it seems to me that the expansion work is disconnected from providing value to the membership and is building out the maximum possible because they can with no regard to cost or value of investment of capital. Is a target budget being considered with this planning or will construction simply stop when we deplete our ~$150,000 savings account?

As you said it’s only the board of directors that approves spending, but if the only plan presented is ‘spend over a quarter of a million before we get to a fully functional state’, the board will have no option but to say no we can’t do that. Even if it will be done in pieces so there likely wouldn’t be a single request that large, at what point in the list of construction items do you think we might run out of funds?

Is there a particular value when it comes to installation of the mini-split that was already chosen?

We can’t turn on most of our servers and a lot of other equipment until it is installed, and this is limiting infrastructure from getting other networking services up and running to support other committees.

You already bought the new sink. It is the one that was in storage. It is now in 102 near the double doors… still in the box.

Show up to one of the meetings and you won’t be so off base with your assumptions.

1 Like

Expansion bought a new sink that was in a box in 102. (I bought it) It was intended as the general use sink in the warehouse. Unless there are two sinks in the 102 warehouse, the one that’s out there is the one purchased by Expansion.

FWIW, the sink I bought has the largest basins available for a two-basin sink. They are roughly 30" wide each.

If that’s not large enough, there is a single compartment sink available from the manufacturer that has a 36" wide basin x 24" wide x 14" deep.

There’s another one, and it’s not an HSF / commercial one. Someone in printmaking apparently bought a pet bath / large sink link of thing and it was found in the DMS storage during clean out.

1 Like

The one in 102 is the one that was purchased for the 102 warehouse specifically.

The one that had been purchased for printmaking (and remains in storage) can’t be used. It was not anticipated that there would be people dumping resin detritus into that sink. But they are. As i understand it, resin chems degrade PVC. Which is what the sink was made of. So I was told by Astrud and Paul that expansion was going to seek out an appropriate non-pvc replacement. (What is needed is a large single bowl sink rather than the double sink, so that large silk screens can fit inside for cleaning.)

That said, I find myself wondering about the pvc drainage pipes.

I was the one that told astrud I would help seek out a non pvc sink. I strongly believe that only stainless sinks should be installed in these areas.

1 Like

The sink Printmaking bought is sitting on top of the sink Expansion bought… so yes, two sinks.

1 Like

Yes, we originally purchased the PVC utility sink (and yes it is sitting in the warehouse).

A: there was a layout change requiring a move and size change in the flex area sink due to reworking the bathroom door into the flex area instead of the wet classroom.

B: After seeing how quickly membership has abused the metal sink in the flex area (dumping of resins/glues/paints, poor cleaning after use requiring heavy scraping/scrubbing, etc) it was determined that a plastic sink would not be a useable choice due to massively accelerated wear and tear.

On another topic/query, where are the small personal storage bins being relocated to this time?

Art offered some suggestions in this post

Paging @Team_Logistics
Time to get this done.