DMS Discord and Current Events

One, DMS has an unofficial Discord for those unaware. Anyone can join and participate including nonmembers. This is a double edged sword as it has been used for trolling in past given it’s open/free nature.

Two, a former board member has posted there regarding their expulsion recently (probably because they’re not able to post information here on Talk?). I don’t believe this to be trolling in nature like other nonmember behavior on Discord in the past. It’s worth looking at IMHO.

Three, a screenshot is attached in case you’re interested in the communications from the former board member but not the Discord server.

I’m not going to moderate this thread personally since I’m a moderator for Talk. I hope y’all have a happy new year!

9 Likes

Thanks for the reminder Luke. I tend to forget about the discord server unless someone pings me on it.

I was curious enough about this to go (laboriously) type in link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mOPZkJxIxNbE7AYYI_kf859rZhrrKaRK?usp=sharing

I haven’t read through it yet, but right now mostly I am just saddened that something like this got to such a ridiculous, extreme point such that a member who has provided so much time, energy, money, and engagement gets permanently expelled over what appears to be so little, i.e. a he-said-she-said-they-said, and where it is almost impossible to understand what the actual facts are, especially where the whole BoD (including, at the time, Tails) was involved. It just reeks.

In full disclosure, I didn’t vote for Tails; I like Tails a lot…they (is that right?) helped anyone that asked and gave [their?] time and money and energy as or more freely than anyone I can quickly think of at the moment. But their penchant for last-wording and beating a thread/discussion to death on TALK didn’t sit well with me, generally. (note: I didn’t vote for James P., either.)

But, still, volunteerism like this is the lifeblood of this organization and tossing it away like this is not good for it…just the opposite, in fact. Again, it is just really sad, and a total failure of excellence and leadership all around, that this is what it came to. I hope what’s left of the current BoD thinks through this one more time and decides to put a reasonable expiration date on Tails’ expulsion. I’d put an item in the BoD agenda for this very thing, but I can’t figure out how anymore…does anyone know when was the last time one of us sub-members was allowed to do this?

8 Likes

At the end of the day, we have to remember that the BoD are members too. DMS is a Co-Op not a corporation. A board member is a regular member who pays just like everyone else, just was willing to volunteer to help lead. They were voted in by a majority of other regular members. More than a few have left the board stating something to the effect of its quite a beating. I appreciate everyone who’s been willing to stand up and take it.

As far as I know, the process hasn’t changed. Go to the wiki… submit an agenda item at least 48 hours in advance. There was talk of moving away from wiki though. That might explain why there are no minutes for October’s meeting and no entries for November or December.

@Julie-Harris or @mrjimmy is there a new process?

I agree with you @mblatz, this is the kind of Toxicity allowed by a poor BOD. We will always have interpersonal problems with our group. Handling the process in secret and not allowing response in person to the accuser only furthers this toxicity with added injustice.

I’m glad Tails continues to post publicly about his plight here. As it may be the only way he ever is invited back to DMS.

The current BOD for posterity.

@jast: my bad for muddying the waters…can the post regarding who/how/etc. BoD and be split out. I can then redact my post before or after or what you think best. Thanks…

Please see Dallas Makerspace’s Articles of Incorporation, We are structured as qualifying Non-Profit Corporation. We are not a Co-Op, that is a different legal entity with different rights and generally ownership or equity interests which are barred for Non-profits.
Dallas-Makerspace-Article-of-Incorporation.pdf (30.2 KB)
DMS AOI Amendment 7-25-2011.PDF (80.1 KB)

3 Likes

Was speaking more regarding our principles and how things get done than legal structure, but thank you for the reminder.

Neither of your accusations are my intent. Please read my post with the terms or names correct to fit the intent of my message. I hope that clears up intent.

3 Likes

(They and their are correct! I think it’s awesome you used their pronouns to the best of your knowledge and asked for clarification to make sure. Definitely Excellent.)

3 Likes

If it wasn’t your intent, you can/should edit your post with the appropriate pronouns for the person you’re talking about.

That you haven’t yet done so speaks more to your intent than your protestations.

1 Like

Actually,
Spoke directly to Tails and I changed what I was asked to change. It is possible I have a different relationship than others with Tails.

Are pronouns a requirement at DMS? I was unaware there was a rule. I thought it was a matter of courtesy. Not meaning to change the subject but for over half a century of my life, this was never an issue. As a person who made a living writing, and therefore a student of the English language, my reference was “The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual” . I hear the newer additions may address this but so far I am not aware of any “Fast Rules”. “He, Him” and “She, Her” I can see, but to me, “They, Them” when referring to an individual is highly disrespectful unless they are possessed by legions. If we are to be excellent, can we be excellent to all sensibilities? Like I said, don’t mean to change the subject but it seems to have been brought up already. I also don’t mean to show disrespect, but am I being asked to do just that to be polite? We live in interesting times.

3 Likes

How would you refer to a single person for whom you don’t know the gender? They/their/them has always had singular neuter usage in English.

“A nonresident who is at least 18 years of age may drive any vehicle in Texas if they are legally licensed to drive such a vehicle in their home state or country, and the home state or country grants like recognition (reciprocity) to citizens of Texas”

Just a random example.

7 Likes

They are not. Feel free to use a person’s preferred name instead of a pronoun.

There is. Specifically this one.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Anti-Harassment_Policy
Specifically #10, the pertinent part of which is underlined here:

Per the AP, this is still the definitive reference (YMMV).

There are now. As of 2017-2018 the AP Style Guide included non-plural “they/them” for many (possible) non-plural uses, including but not limited to nonbinary identifying individuals. (Here is an editorial blog entry referencing the change and discussing some of the impetus in 2017). This has today evolved into “as preferred if a preference is expressed by the antecedent”. Thus, the many correspondences you may witness today (especially if you work in/around Higher Education) with some sort of verbiage along the lines of “Preferred pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xem/Xeir”.

You are.
Today’s sensibilities require that we address a person by the name they choose to use (like calling Robert James Dobbs, III “Jimmy” if that’s what is requested) and to use the pronouns the person specifies (regardless of any knowledge/belief we might hold personally to the contrary).

Indeed. Nothing constant but the change.

But there you have it. “The rules” for the 'Space, and although I don’t have access to actually quote the AP Style Guide, some little evidence of the change that lies therein. :+1:

7 Likes

Such a smart point.

(as are some of the others made after.)

A post was split to a new topic: Debating the Merits of DMS’ Anti-Harassment Rule & AP Style

Does anyone remember when he tried to get me banned and temporarily suspended for breaking an email rule which didn’t exist yet because I used my personal email on google groups instead of DMS? Then went out breaking federal laws trying to break into every account he could of mine? It’s karma. Do not feel sorry for someone who bends the truth purposefully with logical fallacies, breaks laws when convenient and then cries when he looses at some of his own evil games. He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

From what I recall you misunderstood the notification that google sends whenever when you log in from a new device…

Edit: found the thread
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/jim-hartnett-conflict-of-interest-voter-registration/72336

1 Like

That’s not the topic.

Like when he takes over 3rd party cloud accounts with your email address and then performs impersonated actions as you.