Distraction post #2 what’s the most amazing scenery you’ve ever witnessed

Do you remember when something you looked at was so beautiful you couldn’t breathe? Where was it?

2 Likes

Standing at the front of a church in Arlington, TX, back in 1992, staring down the aisle at the woman in white approaching me

13 Likes

Not sure it was quite that beautiful, but I was really amazed the first time I truly saw the Milky Way. There is usually enough light pollution in our skies that it doesn’t look like someone poured milk across the sky.

3 Likes

Whitsunday Island Australia.

5 Likes

A particularly intense display of the Northern Lights; outside of Fairbanks AK at 12:01 am, 1/1/2000.

3 Likes

Most recently, it’d have to be driving up the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper in 2018.

2 Likes

Butchart Gardens on Victoria Island in British Columbia

5 Likes

Went on a biolumenescent kayak tour on St. Croix with my son once. Jaw dropping incredible.

4 Likes

One a glacier on Mt. Rainier. The previous 12 hours we watch a lightning storm from 11K feet. We could see trees way off in the distance catching fire.

7 Likes

Thank you, @uglyknees for asking.
This has caused me to reflect on the contenders, and I have to say, I’m surprised by their number (me being quite the homebody) and their splendor in my memory. :+1:

2 Likes

The view of Mo’orea from Tahiti is probably the best view I’ve seen so far.

6 Likes

Power black out: So foreign are the real night skies to Los Angeles that in 1994, after the Northridge earthquake jostled Angelenos awake at 4:31 a.m., the observatory received many calls asking about “the strange sky they had seen after the earthquake.”

1 Like

Night Diving in Cozumel when we turned our lights off we saw a panorama of other bioluminescent fish and algae all around.

3 Likes

Craters of the Moon Nat Prk w/ 6 inches of fresh snow.

adding:
1984 F1 Grand Prix at the Fair Grounds. Spotter platform above debris fence chicane exit.
6x rolls of Kodachrome. Got picts no one else has.

Factory turbo BMW and Porsche IMSA racing at the Hallett Road Course…
From corner crew bunker got to watch Peter Gregg (Porsche) and Dave Hobbs (BMW) duke it out.

5 Likes
  1. This long time Ansel Adams fan finally saw Half Dome in person.
3 Likes

Please, please share these!

2 Likes

Got to fire up an XP machine and slide scanner first.
And now I have possible black tub problem to deal with…sigh…

Last week I was driving along Hwy 114 in Grapevine and I looked to my left and saw the Blue Angels in perfect formation flying over Baylor Hospital. Nobody was near me so I slowed down and opened all the windows and sunroof. Just as they flew over the car they let out a jet stream of smoke in unison. They were so close I felt like I was in the tower in Top Gun when Tom Cruise buzzed by. Knowing the Blue Angels were thanking my wife who is a nurse working on a covid floor that day made it even more special.

7 Likes

Hopefully without spilling your coffee while driving :smiley:

1 Like

I think I particularly liked the melting glaciers of my last trip

3 Likes