Distraction post #2 what’s the most amazing scenery you’ve ever witnessed

I’ve got a top 3 from visiting family in Mexico:

1. My grandparent’s village is up in the mountains, and a lot of people get their water from a system that starts at a natural fountain. It springs up from underneath a tall tree with a wide trunk, and you can see disturbances where the water is pushing up between the roots.
  2. On a long car ride to a city whose name I forget we passed through a reforested area on a mountainside. Innumerable trees with straight trunks, lined up in perfect rows for miles. As the car passed by I just stared at this grid of trees until they were gone.
  3. There’s an incredibly tacky rest stop that has a beautiful waterfall as it’s main attraction. The braver you are, the higher up you’ll jump from. The real treat was an offshoot stream that dipped and twisted, clear as glass with so many little creatures living inside.
2 Likes

Up in the Wichita mountain wildlife preserve there is an area called the parallel forest. It was planted by the army during the dust bowl to control erosion. You can now hike it, it’s mesmerizing walking through a perfectly ordered forest. When you come out the back there is a small mountain called Mt. Wall, you can walk to the top and look down on to the forest. I highly recommend visiting it. It’s about a 3 hour drive, the whole area is great for camping and hiking.

4 Likes

I’ve done this and agree.