DISCUSSION: Private Events in DMS classrooms?

The anime is fine, since it isn’t listed as a private event. Anyone is allowed to come in and watch. It shouldn’t have priority over a class, but it can be scheduled in advance according to the current rules as I understand them.

The issue is the advance reservation. They are welcome to use the room for a private event if it is available when they walk into the space on the day of use. They just can’t reserve it in advance via the calendar system for a private, not accessible to the DMS membership, event.

4 Likes

I can’t find any rules or bylaws stating what you are asserting.

Then you tell me why I was blocked for the same thing in the thread I referenced.

There was a policy set forth in that thread here:

Correct, if someone was reserving the Lecture Hall to watch anime (or Top Gun or Debbie Does Dallas for that matter) with their buddies privately, the event should be nuked.

There was a rant by one board member, stating his (non-lawyer) opinion on legal matters, about a policy which was never voted on and codified by the board or member meetings.

Tell me the specific event (date, room, time) that you are talking about and I’ll try to look it up.

lets be real here, this isnt about an event thats a single person asking for a full classroom to use as a workspace for 12 hours a sunday for the next 12 sundays so they can work on stuff for a convention. this is two event so a group of people can do recorded stuff using the digital media room.

dont get me wrong, im not a fan of the people doing the auditions because they seems to only be capable of treating members like shit, but i think this is a different situation all together from the event the previous forum thread was about

5 Likes

Some of the Classroom Committee is discussing ways to reasonably limit multiple events by the same group or person, especially on the same day.

It’s still about something being reserved in advance for private use, not open to DMS members.

At the time I made the reservations for the use of the Purple Classroom there was no set policy concerning private use of a room using advanced reservations through the calendar system. I thought it might be a stretch, but was fully willing to work with anyone if there was a conflict or need for the room. Instead a new policy was formed (or at least so it seemed) to prevent the advance reservation of a room for private use to be put into place. I can see the logic in this, and as such did not argue against it at the time.

With the increased membership numbers (and concurrent demands upon space and blocks of available time) I would think this policy would be of even more relevance and importance.

Basically, if an event is open to the public and/or DMS members, it can be scheduled in advance to reserve a room. If it is for private use, you can not reserve in advance, but may use a room if it is available on a first-come, first served basis, and must vacate the room for any scheduled events in the room that may occur later in the day.

1 Like

There is no mention of that event being private. I assume, if you so desire, you can try out for a part like anyone else attending.

1 Like

Uhhhh…

It says private right in the title of the listing.

On Saturday April 1, 10:00 am “Private Casting Call”
On Sunday April 2, 10:00 am “Private Casting Call”

There is no mention of it being open to anyone in the detailed descriptions, which consists of the following:
“A casting call for a Short Film being recorded.”

1 Like

Show me where the proposed policy was voted on and codified. I can’t find it. The current Classroom Chairman can’t find it, and doesn’t agree with it.

Well then someone did a 180 turnaround on the policy that had my events canceled last fall.

My apologies.​​​​​​​​

1 Like

So they could just take private out and ask people to wait outside till the current line of people had done their thing. Who knows they might find talent

5 Likes

This was a long discussion a very long time ago amongst honorarium auditors and as i recall, it was decided on a case by case basis.

Taking up a room for 8+ hours for multiple days was deemed problematic because it was a commonly used classroom for an excessive amount of time. This looks like it’s for two days for a smaller room where it’s hard for multiple people to work anyway. I did not make the decision, but I get the logic.

One of the consequences of having few rules is that you have to rely on the discretion of others. The last attempt to codify rules for honorarium (and private events) was met with a tremendous amount of pushback from the membership, including personal insults to people who were just trying to better communicate information agreed upon by the honorarium auditors. While this is a separate issue, it is related as there were a few pieces dealing with events.

Frankly, there is this hippie jam fest idea at DMS that you should never have rules and this is precisely the sort of misunderstanding it causes.

1 Like

While I appreciate the original post, a lot of this goes under the topic of highest and best use for the space. From what I’ve read, that can’t be determined until a lease is signed. And a lease won’t be signed until after a new board.

I’ll concede my approach to this issue is personal. I can’t use my favorite photo imaging set up if it’s behind a closed door. We all expect to be flexible if a tool we plan to use is occupied, but it adds a layer of frustration for it to be available, but without access.

1 Like

I’m not sure less than a year ago qualifies as “a very long time ago”. Honorarium auditors have only been around since 8/28/2016. It appears, from the rules adopted by unanimous vote of the BOD on 9/23/2016 that it IS indeed “case by case”, and fully at the whim of the opinion of the auditors, per rule 10:

10. Honorarium Auditors and calendar administrators may at their discretion 
cancel or modify scheduled Classes or Events that are not in keeping with the 
DMS mission, are deemed inappropriate for DMS, are deemed not to be actual 
Classes/Events, represent an abuse of the calendar system, or represent abuse of
 DMS resources"

So it appears to ME that Paul’s event was, in the opinion of an auditor, NOT acceptable, while the currently questioned events have not yet triggered a reject by any auditor. This leads me to a few questions. The first is: who are our auditors?
I am not finding any updates since this:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/honorariums-auditors/12827/4

This seems like the sort of list that should be open, public, easily findable, and maintained. I presume it would be best so by “an admin of the calendar” since I presume it takes an admin to maintain the list for the system.

I reckon the second thing is more of a statement than a question: It seems like this is one instance where significant friction is caused by unequal application of opinion. I don’t blame Paul one bit for being angry (which is what I presume his emotion is based on my own expected response). It seemed like the result of that discussion was ‘sorry, no private stuff’ but here find something LABELED “private” that slipped through the consciousness of ~14 individuals. :neutral_face:

7 Likes

Its in AD under dms.local>Groups>Applications>Honorarium Admins. That will always be the most current list.

EDIT: Also of note. If a class doesn’t require honorarium the honorarium admins dont see it. Only Calendar Admins.

2 Likes

How do disabled accounts affect that?