DISCUSSION: Private Events in DMS classrooms?

ISSUE or REQUEST:
There are two events listed on the calendar (one on Saturday and one on Sunday), both in the Digital Media Room. It has been established that private events such as this are not allowed.

Affected Tool or Resource:
Classroom - Digital Media

Committee, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST
@Team_Education @Team_Calendar

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):

The following two events are scheduled to use DMS resources for private events, which have been ruled to be not permissible, as seen in this thread: Private event to reserve a machine?

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2110
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2111

If this policy is still in play I request that the two events in question be cancelled.

PLEASE REMEMBER DALLAS MAKERSPACE IS AN ALL VOLUNTARY RUN COMMUNITY.
Our volunteers will handle the reported issues as quickly as possible; however, there is no guaranteed time frame for resolution - due to the voluntary nature of how things work around here.

Please consider volunteering to help maintain some of our resources to help keep things running as smooth as possible here! Thanks!

:bulb: If you are reporting or resolving an equipment issue, please also update the tool status board appropriately.

Than you! I relocated the other day based on a similar event. Didn’t realize it wasn’t supposed to be happening.

Going to tag @lukeiamyourfather but I was under the impression that the digital media room is special and private events are allowed.

Not sure though but Luke is the current chair (I think) so he would know.

There is no room for “special cases” in the arguments used in the referenced thread that set the policy for no private events.

1 Like

@lukeiamyourfather actually isn’t, @SewingStuff, as of last Sunday. But I bet he can both point to Alex, the new chair, and confirm his understanding of the Issue.

Actually until the board appoves the chair, as I understand it, the old chair is still “technically” the chair.

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

And about the room?

I am the chair until the next board meeting. All officers are appointed by the board of directors. The committee vote is advisory.

Private events have been accepted in the digital media room in the past for things like recordings. It’s difficult to record something while people are coming and going. This may change with the new chairperson.

4 Likes

@Hardsuit - I’ve found the computer in the CA annex to be powerful enough for large editing tasks. The lighting is rough in there, though, and sometimes the Internet won’t stay up because of the Ethernet cord, but hopefully it will give you what you need. The 3D scanner can be moved around if that was your goal.

As Luke said, there is likely a new DM chair after the board approves. Maybe you can join us for meetings and help influence the policy.

Is the person who reserved the room a member? Is there a way to check?

I think Paul has a valid observation here. It’s not about the group locking the door after they get there so that they can record without interruption. In reality, once anyone is using any resource it becomes a private event. It’s the fact that reserving the resource for a private event violates the “first come, first served - no reservations” policy for all the other resources.

Are we saying that individual committees can decide whether to allow private events to reserve their resoures?

3 Likes

Paul,

Do you need that specific room for some reason?

1 Like

No, I don’t need it, but that’s not the point.

As previously established unless the policy had been changed, members can come to the space and use a room on an as-available basis if it is not in use, but they can not book rooms in advance for private events.

If a policy has been set in place, it needs to be used/enforced consistently.

6 Likes

So, because someone is booking a room for a few hours for a non-class event, that isn’t open to the public, you are equating it to reserving a tool?

1 Like

Yes, Christian is a member.

1 Like

I’m not very familiar with the room, but it certainly sounds like the room itself (or assets therein) is a tool. In which case it should fall under the same rules as, say, the Bridgeport.

If there are things stored in that room that are then restricted during this private, seemingly non-educational event, we have even more reason to not allow it.

1 Like

Thanks. I still haven’t figured out how to look. Just know about some of the profiles people have posted.

Any way the conference room could substitute?

Both of the disputed events involve recording… so the conference room isn’t really usable. The film group has used the Purple, Lecture and Interactive rooms in the past for recording, but I’ve asked them to use the smallest practical room whenever possible to reduce conflicts.

1 Like

Scratching my head about something @AlexRhodes said re setting up a lab in DM. As it stands three computers aren’t available this weekend. With a lab it might be five.

Is the conference room a multi-tasking room? I’ve not really ever hung out in there.

So, no more Anime in the Lecture Hall?

Not sure what you mean by “multi-tasking”, but the conference room is often used for studying, small meetings, business calls, small classes and napping.