Discussion of Automotive Rules as they pertain to insurance requirements

Continuing the discussion from Automotive Class offered

A new thread, which is probably more aptly named for what we are discussing.

The questions I see:

1. How much does our insurance cost per month?
  2. What is covered, what is not?
  3. Can we work with our current insurer to find mutually appropriate terms which will allow any DMS member to teach a class?
  4. Is anyone willing to pick up the baton from Robert Davidson’s good work to get us this far?
1 Like

I am willing to find another insurer if we can get those questions answered. Also what specific requirements do we have right now that we need covered.

Our broker is going to ask those questions to the underwriter. I will respond when they respond back.

2 Likes

I am VOLUNTEERING…

To find out more about insuring the type of ‘work’ being done on premises. Here is what I know/understand so far…

1. The type of insurance that covers a shop is called, ‘Garage Liability Insurance’, not to be confused with ‘Garage Keepers Insurance’. The former protects you from various property damages and injuries on-premises. The latter insures the vehicles themselves when stored on property, which is not applicable to our situation.
  2. Most Garage Insurance policies DO NOT cover issues off the premises due to workmanship or faulty parts, but some policies do provide for an additional piece of coverage to do so.
  3. Whether employees or members/volunteers of the organization that owns the facility… I doubt is viewed as being different and if so, may be more important that you AREN’T an employee of the facility owner.
  4. You guys want to know if it is ok or the liabilities of… someone leading a class showing others how to perform automotive repair for others to perform the work on their own somewhere else outside of your facility.
  5. You guys want to know if it is ok or the liabilities of… someone leading a class on how to do an automotive repair and then the individuals in the class perform the work on their OWN car on the premises.
  6. You guys want to know if it is ok or the liabilities of… someone performing automotive repair on another person’s car for no compensation or benefit personally or to the 'space.

The last three item variations above are worded EXACTLY as they should be asked to an insurance professional. I believe the third one is the big one and honestly you should not make that type of automotive repair work on other people’s cars a priority for the 'space.

I don’t believe there should be any reason why someone can’t work on their own (name on state registration) vehicle in the 'space’s facility with or with out instruction from another person.

Once again I am volunteering, but have yet to have someone follow up with me on who I should contact and/or relay information to. Let me know. I am on it and am willing to speak to your insurance representative just to ask questions like anyone off the street.

EDIT:
I have worked in and with entities that offered automotive repair facilities for people to work on their own cars before.

The key to these kinds of discussions is two-fold… USUALLY someone has already run into this same problem and is doing what you want to do. And if there is something you want to do… then find the solution whatever it is. The solution to allow you to do what you want may not be feasible, but there is ALWAYS a way to get things done.

I can help with finding out what that is in this case…

6 Likes