Digital calipers moved to general use

These two digital calipers were found atop the Haas toolbox last night (shame on you whoever left them). Not really a problem 'cause they are out of here. I have moved them to the white cabinet for general use. One has a dead battery, the other battery is probably failing. Do not put them back in the HAAS toolbox. they may be easier to read but never knowing the state of the battery can lead to inaccurate results. I know. I have one of these Pitts calipers. Hate it. We have a nice 6" and 12" dial caliper in the tool box for haas use. Make damn sure it goes back in the toolbox when done. cheers!

2 Likes

The orange tape signifies 3dfabs property

1 Like

Can you explain this ? Is it just that it loses zero if the battery gets too low ?

I have the same model and have noticed no problems. I do tend to close and zero mine before each measurement though. Seems good practice.

1 Like

http://www.motioncontroltips.com/faq-what-are-capacitive-encoders-and-where-are-they-suitable/

in short - when the battery is getting low I can measure a 1" piece and read 1". close and read again, and it may say 0.998 or even be completely wacked out and say 2. XX". Just unreliable.

1 Like

well then shame on someone for taking it from 3d and leaving it in the machine shop. It is in the white cabinet. sorry I’m not there to take it over myself.

I think you have a defective one.

I do change batteries if the display fades, but I haven’t seen repeatability problems with mine.

And the instant conversion from English to metric to fractions is invaluable.

Plus, I really don’t like dial calipers. Guess I’ll bring my own.

2 Likes

Creative Arts is missing their calipers, if one of them has no markings then it’s probably them. I didn’t have time to find the pink nail polish and Mark them before they disappeared

I’ll get the orange tape one top 3D fab today and the other to CA.

Machine Shop decided to go with Dial Calipers: No battery cover to lose, no battery to die, no blue tape needed, if you can’t learn to read one - you probably shouldn’t be machining anyway (I mean reading a micrometer is a whole other level of fun), they are more durable, and everybody hates them so they stay in machine shop! We do have Digital Readouts on some machines, so it’s not that we are anti-technology.

They can be gotten with dual faced dials so no need to push button to switch from inches to metric … think of the time you’ll save. They socially responsible GREEN … no battery for landfills.

We don’t prohibit their use, we just aren’t enablers. :innocent:

6 Likes

Vernier scale reading class anyone? Hahahahahah

We have one vernier caliper in Machine Shop. I’m saving it as a motivational tool. If you can use our other tools respectfully … you are only allowed to use it.

While we are on a back to basics kick, do we have a slide rule? XD

ROFLMAO! oh that’s adorable! :joy:

Learned that in freshman physics lab in 1985. I also learned morse code. Don’t use that obsolete tech either. ( since we’re being snarky about it… )

See Vintage Computing.

After only 160 years Morse Code finally got a new letter, the “@” symbol in 2004. Hard to send an email address without that symbol. It is the concatenation of the letters A and C without any spaces. Why A and C you ask? That’s because the symbol looks like an “A” with a “C” wrapped around it.

4 Likes

I learned enough code to pass the 5WPM requirement when I tested for my extra. Haven’t used it since.

I do enjoy PSK31 though. Really need to get an antenna up at the house.

The Pittsburgh brand are sold at Harbor Freight. The reason the batteries always run down is because the internal processor never turns off, only the digital display turns off. Now if you purchase a decent professional brand name like Mitutoyo, then the internal processor goes into a low current sleep mode therefore extending battery life. Harbor Freight? They are cheap and you get exactly what you paid for.

2 Likes

Any of you had experience with this brand ?

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Electronic-Fraction-Protection/dp/B00KDUD67G

Not Mituoyo, but half the cost. And only 4 or 5 times more expensive than the HF ones. ( on sale. )

I have one, and I use it for things I don’t care too much about precision. I use my mititoyo metric dial caliper or my starett english dial caliper for anything where I am concerned about accuracy. That said, I have never seen the iGaging be off in an significant way.

Like David, I don’t trust digital calipers. Murphy’s corollary #127 is that the battery will die at a critical time…

6 Likes