Digital calipers moved to general use

I have one of their micrometers, and it’s just fine. Nice and smooth, mostly repeatable. Haven’t tested it against a standard, I should do that next time I’m at the space.

For the caliper, I can bet you that it probably won’t be buttery smooth, but if you’re not using it every single day, and don’t care if it doesn’t last 10 years, the iGaging is probably fine.

1 Like

Speaking of digital calipers…I want to buy a quality caliper for myself. Any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-474-Measurements-Stainless-Resolution/dp/B001C0ZPUW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500665193&sr=8-4&keywords=mitutoyo+digital+calipers

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-EC799A-6-150-Electronic-Resolution/dp/B00WSOU772/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1500665246&sr=1-1&keywords=starrett+digital+calipers

2 Likes

If you truly want quality go with mitutoyo. But they are pricey.
I personally don’t care for the digital. I’m constantly worried about the accuracy degrading as the battery does. But that is just me.
Fowler and SPI and Starrett are also good brands.

2 Likes

I like the idea of solar power.

These look pretty nice:

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-3202-6-Hardened-Stainless-Graduation/dp/B01HAWVWNE/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1500666055&sr=1-4&keywords=dial+caliper

They are, but they are not digital

Mitytoyo are good calipers and hold up extremely well in commercial/industrial applications where they are in constant use and are deemed worth the investment. I’ve seen all types of digital calipers pass metrology calibration certification and they all have been rated at ± .001" - even the Mitutoyos.

This includes a 3" caliper I bought to get into the tight confines of helicopter for measuring hole edge distance. It was a $14 Grizzy, I submitted to the cal lab and it passed. I figured for $14 it was worth the buying since if it did pass it could into tight spots the 4" caliper couldn’t.

But if you want a “solar powered” Mitutoyo and can afford it go for it. I personally am fine with Dial Calipers, the Fowlers can be bought with both Inch and Metric scales on them. They also pass calibration to the ± .001" standard. There are a few trciks that are easier to do with a digital that have to do with zeroing out where you can’t see the instrument because of where you are at and the angle the instrument is being held at.

A lot of the accuracy and repeatability of a caliper is in the operator technique. When you get your caliper, if you like, get with me and I’ll do a gage R&R on you and see how accurately you can measure. Also, how to check accuracy of instrument.

2 Likes

Sounds great. I’ll have to take you up on it.

1 Like

I got 'em. Are you going to be at DMS this week?

I will be there tomorrow but out of state the rest of the week.

I’ll be there from 3-5 in a class.

Would 2:30 or 5:30 work for you?

Christopher Yahn
[email protected]

You should teach a class on calibration and how to take a good reading using the digital and analog calipers. I once asked Matt Keim if he used a digital or analog for wood work. He said that invariably when he’s needing a caliper he prefers the dial because the last few times he’s used a digital the battery was dead.
Sounds like this is an experience often repeated.

I may do a measurements class - covering the tools we have. How to use them for layout and inspection, checking for calibration, do a gauge R&R on the class attendees.

A lot to cover really.

I’ll probably be there around noon or one. I also have a class at 3PM.

I’ll be at the Arduino class.

Christopher Yahn
[email protected]

ditto. So afterwards we can get together

whille not dead, I have found that accuracy an be off when the battery is getting low. Dial caliper has never failed me. cheers!

Class got cancelled.

See you at the next class if there is one…

Christopher Yahn
[email protected]

1 Like