Dapping blocks (make vs. buy?)

Still researching. Bench blocks like the ones jewlery has are cheap enough if I go outside approved channels…but dapping blocks are crazy expensive!

I found a tut on making pancake dies from cold rolled steel, designed a few bench pins that could be knocked out on CNC and realized a bench block wasn’t much more than bar stock. So in my miniscule wisdom I decided dapping blocks could be made on HAAS and Google said they had to be tool steel

When you say dapping blocks, do you mean the kind with hemispherical indentations? I ask this because I’m not sure the other machinists in the group are contemplating having to machine these indentations - it sounds like they are just contemplating how to cut the block.

If you are not looking for cavities that are quite large, you might try Widget Supply. Their dapping blocks seem to be much more reasonably priced than Rio.

1 Like

CDC surplus had them. I didn’t look to see how much they were though.

1 Like

I bought a set there - block and punches. I don’t remember how much but about $20 seems to stick in my mind - maybe a little more. Awesome price given that it includes the punches. Caveat however - it is a 1" block and the largest punch/cavity pair in that set is 12mm. It was perfect for my needs.

Unless he has something larger by now …

BTW, Jewelry/Small Metals has a dapping set available for people to use on the premises.

2 Likes

Yes jewelry blocks.

I’m doing a new studio class at work. I’ll use the DMS ones during summers but need a few for my students. Thanks for the leads. I’ll look into it

If you want some that are usable but inexpensive, check out
Harbor Freight, god student/beginner ones

I didn’t even know they had them. I’ll go up there later this week.