Damascus making classes

Howdy all! Damascus has been in many people mind that come into the blacksmith shop. I know I love making Damascus and I would love to teach others how to make a block of steel turn into a really awesome piece of pattern Damascus. I do think this will also be a 2-3 part class that will cost around 50 dollars for materials. If you are interested I will be talking more about this as November comes I will add some. These classes will include using the welding machines, forges, hydraulic press and knife making grinder. If you are interested we can plan further steps in the coming week.

9 Likes

I would love to be part of this class when available. I am subscribed to this thread but please keep me in the loop. Enjoy your Friday!!

1 Like

Do attendees need to have completed sign offs for all those tools or will this class cover that?

1 Like

Im interested!

1 Like

This class we can go over anything you have questions about

I’m interested!

I m also interested. Any day other than Saturday mornings because I m attending Brookhaven blacksmith classes.

Planning for Sunday starting November time will probably be noon-3:30 or so but might come in earlier and stay longer.

1 Like

Sounds good. Please let me know also if you are planning any class or open forge during the week. I will help with the propane.

1 Like

I might consider doing one during the week it would be a night class. If there are a few that would have time for a week night I can schedule something. I work about 20 minutes from the space so it’s doable. Time would probably be 6:30-9:00 which would be the weekday class if I made one.

1 Like

I’d be interested.
:slight_smile:
Yeda

1 Like

Absolutely! I would be interested!

1 Like

Will plan for next weekend skip the next and a few more weekend classes will be available!

1 Like

I am looking forward to it! It gives my arm a whole week to recover from yesterday- my arm is trembling lifting my coffee cup today :rofl:

Lol I was gonna say me and John will will be there this morning teaching a Halloween class if you’d like to join. Since your arm will be coming back to life I’d say give it a little bit unless you bout it :joy:

Also it’s all them crazy angles of approach you took on your piece and the rest to add to that. You did great, while in the Damascus class we will use the press

I was trying to become one with it. It’s the artist in me. Thank you for the compliment I will try to keep a more dualistic approach with the press to avoid soreness.

1 Like

Oh you had the whole fit you already a part time blacksmith lol

So for a complete beginner with noodle arms, would using a press with the making demascus be doable, or would I be able to just observe if I don’t have the arm strength for certain blacksmith techniques?

No need to feel discouraged about hammering some hot metal. The press is made for work like what we would do for Damascus bars. However a press can’t do everything you can do. With that being said this class will be more towards the machine. While other more detailed classes would need more of a human touch.

2 Likes